How Did You Meet Your Dh/bf?

Lounge By ccr03 Updated 2 Mar 2010 , 11:18pm by sueco

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 8:13pm
post #1 of 64

So, I'm feeling giddy (and going through an emotional roller coaster to say the least), but decided to get through the rough times, I need to feel giddy......

So.....as a fun game....how did you meet your husband/fiance/boyfriend? Any romantic stories to share??? I'm a sucker for that!

Now, although I'm currently, my best story is my first "love". We were neighbors and always kind-of had a thing for each other and when I was 15 (him 16ish - I know it's a little older than me), he had his sister give me a dozen roses for Christmas with a card that said "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. I wish you get someone that cares for you a lot - Me." Awww....I still get giddy thinking about it. Heck, I still get little butterflies when I see him.
Awww...but things didn't work out because we could never get our timing right.
Although, I do think he is still single....but four hours away.

Anyway, this is for all those hopeless romantics out there!

63 replies
cookingfor5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookingfor5 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 8:47pm
post #2 of 64

That is such a sweet story. I remember a similar situation that didn't work out for me, but it gave me the freedom to meet my DH.

I actually was the typical girl, dating a guy, who invited me to a party at his house. I knew only 2 other people at the party and sat down next to a friend of mine, while my guy was being the best host possible and working the room attending to everyone. Meanwhile, my friend introduced me to his 2 friends and we all hit if off playing cards and joking around. One of the guys was very friendly and we got along well. At the end of the night he asked me to go out with him in 2 weeks to a movie or something. Since the guy I was with was not my boyfriend, I said yes. He left for a minute and returned with pen and paper. I gave him my phone number and we left. We went out 2 weeks later and it was o.k. My friends asked me how my date went and my response was, "He is the kind of guy you marry, not the kind of guy you date in high school." Two years later I saw him at a store I worked at and he came back 2 weeks later to ask me out. We have been together ever since.

Funny things I found out later...We met originally in their yearbook. He actually wrote in my friends yearbook, "Who's the hot girl next to you". I didn't go to that school, but I was in a huge group photo at a game. We never met until the party and both of us forgot about the yearbook by then. And, when he went to get a pen and paper he asked the guy I was with for it. He gave it to him knowing very well why he wanted it. The three of us would spend time together over the years and never discussed that night. Fortunately, they were both nice guys and no one was ever upset with the other.

ccr03 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 64

Aww, I like you're story!!! icon_smile.gif

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 10:49pm
post #4 of 64

My DH and I met in April of 2005. Several months before I met my DH (soon-to-be ex! icon_lol.gif) I had just broken up with my high school sweetheart/first love and was devastated. I had dated a few guys but they were all losers and/or weirdos. At that time, Myspace was really new but I signed up and added all my high school friends. One of them knew DH. He somehow came across my profile, saw my picture and asked her to introduce us. I agreed to meet him if she came along. It must've been really awkward for her because we talked for HOURS and I don't think we included her much in the conversation. icon_redface.gif To say we hit it off would be an understatement. When we finally left, he asked for my number, I liked him, so I gave it to him. Much to my surprise he called me the next day. He asked me out on a real date and like three months later we were engaged (and a month after that, I was pregnant).

The biggest twist to the story is that we could've met several years earlier than we did. My friend, Shannon, dated a guy named Josh when we were both juniors in high school. Josh just happens to be DH's really good friend. When Josh was dating Shannon, he kept telling me he wanted to hook me up with his friend. Guess who that friend was? Had I not been in a serious relationship, I probably would've agreed to meet him.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 11:07pm
post #5 of 64

I just have to chime in here.

When I turned 16, I got my driver's license and my mom told me she'd pay my insurance unless I did something to make it go up. You guessed it...two months later I wrecked my car. No one got hurt, unless you count my pride and pocketbook! That day, which I considered to me the worst day of my life, when my mom came to the scene of the accident to get me we did not go home. Instead, she took me to local business to put in job applications. (I just love that woman and one day hope to be just like her!) I got a job at our local grocery store as a cashier. The guy in the office there struck up a conversation with me and we became friends...sort of. He was 20, in college, and very handsome so I didn't see him as an option. Besides, I had a boyfriend of 6 months....and when you're 16, 6 months is a LONG time, right? Anyway after about a year of working together, this handsome older guy was starting to make my heart flutter and I knew what I had to do. I broke up with my boyfriend of 1 1/2 years because I had feelings for someone else. I didn't have a clue if he liked me or not, but I knew it wasn't right to date someone and have feelings for someone else. Broke up with bf on Sunday night and told cute-coworker guy about it on Monday at work. What do you know....now I have a date for Tuesday night! That was 8/5/1997 and we were married on 8/5/2000. We're 11 years strong now and are more in love than ever before.

Once we married, I moved my membership to his church (which is where we still go) and sat behind this guy that I thought would be PERFECT for my sister. He and I had gone to school since 7th grade...I know, small town. Now dh and I have two beautiful daughters and my sister married the guy from church, had a daughter together, and just built a house next to us. I wonder if that all would've happened if I had been paying attention to the road at 16. What's the moral of this story, you say?

All things work together to them that love the Lord......

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 11:12pm
post #6 of 64

YOu'll love this irony ....

I met him in a cake decorating supply store!

My best friend owned it and it was the After-5 hangout place. She introduced the two of us. Neither of us were interested in dating. I was going thru a divorce and he had just broken up with his fiancee. We dated just to have something to do.

So naturally we ended up married!

Celebrated our 20th anniversary this past August! thumbs_up.gif

Amia Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 11:19pm
post #7 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

My best friend owned it and it was the After-5 hangout place. She introduced the two of us. Neither of us were interested in dating. I was going thru a divorce and he had just broken up with his fiancee. We dated just to have something to do.

Where is this cake decorating store?! icon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 11:33pm
post #8 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by amia1024

Quote:

I think she branched out ... it's now called Men-R-Us! Thursday is 2-for-1 day! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Amia Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 11:48pm
post #9 of 64
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I think she branched out ... it's now called Men-R-Us! Thursday is 2-for-1 day! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Well now I guess I have plans for Thursday! icon_wink.gif

imagine76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagine76 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 1:47am
post #10 of 64

i met my hubby in high school art class. pottery to be exact -my specialty! he is very introverted and i'm very not! we got out of school early one day and i talked him into going out to lunch with some friends. we were good friends -best friends really before we started dating 2-3 years later.

he did win a most romantic proposal contest amongst a bunch of his office friends. we had both gone to art school at 2 different schools a couple of hours appart. anywho, he proposed to me on valentine's day, i had worked the entire day for my mom who owns a floral shop. he gave me a dozen huge yellow roses (my favorite) and a box he had made covered with tons of valentine stickers. inside burried under a bunch of tiny cut-out hearts, all with something written on them, was my beautiful ring. so romantical! icon_rolleyes.gif

redhare Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redhare Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 2:20am
post #11 of 64

my story is a lil long but funny I suppose. I started working at a retail shop when I was 16 and now dh also worked there. My mom also worked there during the day (she was my boss tell you that was fun LOL). Anyway, dh liked me from the begining and I HATED HIM! He drove me UP THE WALL! There was even one night before I had my car my mom would pick me up from work - anyway all the night shift left at the same time and he walked out w/ me and put his arm around me and went up to my parents car w/ me and told my mom and younger brother that he was going to marry me. I about DIED! Of course my brother TEASED me forever about that and I just wanted to throw up!
Fast forward a few months he quits and goes to work for Home Depot but would always be at the store by the time I got off and would page me ALL THE TIME (this was the days of the pager). Well, as he says he wore me down and on 6.19.1997 we started dating (b/c he asked to kiss me and I refused to kiss anyone that wasn't my boyfriend so he says "can I be your boyfriend" we were on the tailgate of his truck in a Wendy's parking lot (now one of my cakes is starting to make more since if you see it in my photos)....

By November he gave me a promise ring we already knew that this was IT athough no one believed us b/c I was 16 when we started dating (17 by November though).

In March 2001 we were married and still going strong, we now have 2 kiddos (3 & 4 yrs old). I can't imagine my life w/o him and but at the same time it doesn't seem like we've been together for 11 years now.

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 2:38am
post #12 of 64

. . . I married my boss icon_redface.giftapedshut.gifshhh.gif . . . we've been together for over 33 years now . . . and they said it wouldn't last . . . icon_lol.gif

Amia Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 2:44am
post #13 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflydreams

. . . I married my boss icon_redface.giftapedshut.gifshhh.gif . . . we've been together for over 33 years now . . . and they said it wouldn't last . . . icon_lol.gif

Were you the secretary? icon_eek.gificon_lol.gif

ccr03 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 2:51am
post #14 of 64

awww, these are great! com'on people keep them coming!!!

Oh, and amia1024, I'll be at Men R' Us too! What was that address again indydebi? icon_wink.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

dragonflydreams Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 2:57am
post #15 of 64

. . . no . . . we worked in a printing company . . . I was the typsetter/camera worker and he was the printer/owner . . . that was "back in the olden days" . . . long before computer . . . icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif . . . boy has that industry changed . . . icon_rolleyes.gif . . . mind you, I did have to answer the phone too, so maybe I was the secretary too . . . icon_surprised.gif

Men R' Us . . . I wonder if I should look into a newer model . . . J/K . . . icon_eek.gif

Amia Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 2:58am
post #16 of 64
Quote:

. . . no . . . we worked in a printing company . . . I was the typsetter/camera worker and he was the printer/owner . . . that was "back in the olden days" . . . long before computer . . . icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif . . . boy has that industry changed . . . icon_rolleyes.gif . . . mind you, I did have to answer the phone too, so maybe I was the secretary too . . . icon_surprised.gif

Men R' Us . . . I wonder if I should look into a newer model . . . J/K . . . icon_eek.gif

Well you can meet me and ccr03 on Thursday. I have to check out the "Insta-Family" section.

dragonflydreams Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 3:07am
post #17 of 64
Quote:

Quote:

Well you can meet me and ccr03 on Thursday. I have to check out the "Insta-Family" section.

. . . it's a date . . . thumbs_up.gif

quick question about your new avatar . . . it almost looks like you . . . what's the story . . . where did it come from . . .

Amia Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 3:10am
post #18 of 64

I know right!!!! I made it at faceyourmanga.com...yet another addicting site. I made my WHOLE family, and some friends, into cartoons. icon_redface.gif

dragonflydreams Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 3:11am
post #19 of 64

. . . okay . . . that was weird . . . as soon as I mentioned you avatar it disappeared . . . I see that glitch is still following you around . . . icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

Amia Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 3:12am
post #20 of 64
Quote:

. . . okay . . . that was weird . . . as soon as I mentioned you avatar it disappeared . . . I see that glitch is still following you around . . . icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

I guess so. icon_evil.gificon_lol.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 3:33am
post #21 of 64

I met my DH in high school art class. I was 15 and he was 17.
The day I saw him I told this girl who was friends with him (later we became good friends) "that's the guy I'm going to marry." She then said he was dating somebody for like a whole 6 months and totally loved her. Little did I know that that same moment he leaned over to one of my friends and said "That's the girl I'm going to marry." She said "Melissa!, no way! She's totally into her boyfriend and they have been together for over a year."

Well, the cute shy guy in art class use to stare at me a lot. I finally got sick of it so I literally cornered him to where he couldn't run anywhere. I said "I'm sick of you starring at me. Are you going to ask me out on a date or what?" He was shocked and said how about tomorrow night. SWEET! Mind you he was still dating someone and so was I. After that movie date I broke up with my boyfriend (he was turning into a jerk and was trying to pressure me into sex--no way) and him with his girlfriend (she was a psycho who later tried stalking me).
We've been together ever since. It's been 15 years together 11 1/2 of which we've been married.

**cute sidestory**I was suppose to go overseas to rep. the US for cheerleading in France. That trip got canceled so my mom and I took the money invested and spent it to go to Italy and see Jon instead. (He was overseas on a med. float with the Marines and was suppose to be in Naples, Italy Dec.26 - beginning of January.) I received a letter from him saying not to come because he was getting sent in as the first wave for Bosnia. I was heartbroken and decided I wasn't going to Italy. My mother lied to me and told me it was non-refundable and I had to go.

The day we flew out (Dec. 26) for Italy my Dad and brothers get a call from Jon saying he was in Italy after all. My mom left no way for anyone to contact us and she had changed the trip from Naples to Rome, Florence and Venice. We had no idea Jon was in Italy, I thought he was in Bosnia. Jon had no idea what even towns we were in since my dad and brothers didn't know. **Mom and I went to Rome, Florence and then when we got off the train in Venice we saw Navy guys. My mom yelled out "Hey, you have any Marines on that ship your on." The Navy guys came over and said "Yes. In fact a Marine who was on guard the day before said his girlfriend was in Italy somewhere." They laughed as they said "Goodluck trying to find her. He said she was 5ft 2inches, small built with long curly light brown hair and.....HEY,THAT'S YOU!" They ran me back to the docks and starting asking for him. I found out he was out touring Venice with a bunch of other Marines and probably wouldn't be back for a long time. I was not suppose to be back there and an officer asked me to leave. icon_cry.gif

At that moment a group of Marines came back. I couldn't see Jon but he could see me. Next thing I knew I was being held up in the air with him crying and yelling. He just started kissing me and my mom took photos. I guess he was kissing me a little too long because my mom started saying "That's enough."
The best part of the story is he thought he was dreaming until he saw my mother icon_lol.gif

The next day he left to go back out to sea. (He did get combat later on though, but that is the life of the military.)
I was on cloud 9 for months after that.

dragonflydreams Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 4:25am
post #22 of 64

. . . every now and then real life turns into a fairy tale . . . icon_cool.gif

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 9:31am
post #23 of 64

DH and I met in high school our junior year December 1999. Nothing really crazy...i had just transferred to that school and i knew a lot of people. I was sorta in 2 other relationships when i met my husband one guy was incarcerated had 3 more years on his sentence icon_surprised.gif (we had been dating for about 3 years) and the other was just a bad boy afraid of committment until I was with someone else...both were at least 5 years older than me. I had this thing where i didn't like to date high school guys tapedshut.gif Well anyway, the bad boy that i was dating he was never available to me I hadn't heard from him in weeks so i figured we were over. Well this is when i met DH, he asked a mutual friend if i had a boyfriend and I told him that i don't usually date high school guys. So to me he was just something to do tapedshut.gif I know it sounds awful but i was really in love with the guy that was incarcerated so the bad boy was another "something to do" tapedshut.gif So I gave the high school guy my number and we talked on the phone and i told him about my relationships and he still pursued me. icon_confused.gif Well i found him to be really sweet and kind. So after about 2 weeks of talking and flirting with each other he told me he loved me and I didn't respond too well to that. I shied away from it because although my heart was reserved for another man I was beginning to feel something for this high school guy. I didn't want to feel it but I couldn't help it. So I finally just gave in and we really connected on New Years Eve and that was it. His family loved me and he treated me better than any older man i dated. The way he treated me, I forgot about the fact that he and i were the same age (high schoolers). He made me feel so special and I said to myself that he is very wise beyond his years. Well 2 years later 2001 we ended up having our son and of course I had to end it with my jailhouse boyfriend. DH and I have been married since January 2007 and we are planning to have a ceremony next year. We've helped each other grow in life....we helped each other to go after our goals...i helped him to move up the corporate ladder at work by encouraging him to go after opportunities he thought at his age were unattainable... at the age of 26 he is now the youngest Manager of his company and he inturn helped bring out my passion for baking and decorating and now at the age of 26 I have my own company. But our biggest accomplishment is our happy, healthy son!

Sorry about the rambling but I just wanted to share my "Happily Ever After" icon_wink.gif

ccr03 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 1:15pm
post #24 of 64

mkolmar, I LOVE your story!!!

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 2:44pm
post #25 of 64

I met my dh online through an old chat program called Powwow. It was back in November of '97 when I was a 17 year old junior in HS and just got dumped by my first true love. I messaged him only because he was going by the name of my cat and my mom dragged me onto the computer to see it. Never knew if it was going to be male or female young or old and didn't really care as I was heartbroken. Well it turned out to be a young 19 year old guy in college in a state several hours away from me. We chatted it up for hours that night and I just knew I was going to marry him so I told him so, even if he thought I was crazy, he kept chatting to me! We chatted online for three years before we ever met in person. I drove out to his state, with my mom and dad, and met him for the first time in person and watched him graduate college in 2000. I was 20 and he was 22. He got a job even further away from me and we did the long distance driving/flying deal for a year. In April of '01 he came out to my state for my best friends wedding I was in. Easter morning I woke up to him proposing to me. I was 21 he was 23. We drove out to his state the next day and U-Hauled everything he owned back to my parents house where he lived in their basement (alone!) for the next two years until we got married. I was 23 and he was 25. So now we have been together for 11 years and we just celebrated our fifth wedding anniversary. Now I'm 28 and hes getting ready to turn the big 3-0 in one month!

ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 3:05pm
post #26 of 64

I met my husband at a company my father started. I couldn't stand him and thought he was an arrogant A**! Because we worked together so much we had to at least be civil to one another. Once I got to know him, he turned out to be a really good friend and then my best friend. We only had one date when he took me out for my birthday(August)-didn't even kiss me. He went to my father and asked for my hand (without me knowing) and then asked me later in the day, this was in mid September. We got married in October and have worked together 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for the past twelve years, two babies and he's still my Best Friend.

He's still an A** but I wouldn't change him for anything icon_wink.gif . I still get giddy when he kisses me!

levinea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
levinea Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 3:55pm
post #27 of 64

I met my DH on vacation in New Orleans in 1998, I was 17, he was 19. Right after I moved to TN to start college, a friend I had made wanted to go see her boyfriend who was attending college in Austin, TX. It was too far to drive to Austin, but I said New Orleans was only 8 hours away and I would drive her if she'd pay for gas and hotel and all that. She and her boyfriend thought that was a great idea, and he was going to get a ride with his roommate. We got down to New Orleans and as soon as we got there, my friend and her boyfriend holed up in one of the hotel rooms and wouldn't come out. That left me and her boyfriend's roommate in the other room. Well, I didn't want to spend the night in the other hotel room with some guy I didn't know, so he and I walked around the French Quarter literally all night long - we talked nonstop that night and the entire weekend after.

He went back to Texas, and I went back to Tennessee but we kept talking on the phone and chatting online for months, and we made several trips back and forth to see each other. On his last trip to Tennessee he proposed in the airport parking garage and said he wasn't going back to Texas. He didn't go back, and we were married in 2001. I can't believe it's been 10 years already since we met!

ccr03 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 4:51pm
post #28 of 64

Aww, that is so sweet!

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 11:50pm
post #29 of 64

ok my story is scandolous but here goes. I was dating this guy so I thought and he decided to go to the military. I was heart broken but I still helped him pack and get ready to leave. I began hanging out with his sister right after he left and when he got back he went kind of crazy on me. He broke up with me and said that I was nothing to him and it was over. I cried for like two weeks. His sister felt horrible and we began hanging out more. She was dating this guy but told me how she really had someone else and wasnt really feeling him. She said she was using him for the money and that's it. I didnt know him so it really didnt bother me.

I wanted to go out for my birthday one night. She said ok lets go grab something to eat and by the way I'm bringing my boyfriend. I was kind of annoyed. She comes out to my car and jumps in the backseat and tells me he is sitting up front with me. I was really mad by then. We get to the restaurant and him and I talk the entire three hours. She watched the basketball game and we both weren't into sports that much. She didnt hardly talk to either of us so we entertained each other.

She invited me back to his house after dinner so I said ok. Well She gave him my phone number to reach her when ever she was out with me and he began calling my phone. I would answer and hand it right to her. Once I did that and he asked her why did she take the phone he was talking to me. She was really pissed with him then. I had told her that he was calling me and she said, So what! You don't want him anyway She told me to talk to him and report back to her what he said. I felt kind of bad for him because he was a sweet guy. And I felt used because she wanted me to keep a journal so she could manipulate him at the end and she wanted me to go along with the story of how he raped her.

I then got her a job working for me in a daycare center and she was thrilled because she had just lost her job. I went out on the limb to help her and she worked for like two weeks. She then decided that she would call in sick two days in a row by the third day she didnt even bother calling in anymore. She then didnt call in for two more days. I was so embarrased. My so called friend then calls me and asks me to bring her check because she needs her money. She never apologized for what she did. Her boyfriend still called me and kept apologzing for her. We put it all together and decided that it must run in her family and both her and her brother were both losers. We bagan dating and a month later he moved in. The two months later we got engaged and we got married 5 months after we met. We have been together for 5 years. We are so happy that the both of us didnt marry her or her brother because we would have been the only sane ones in the family. Even though we are having a hard time right now, it's so hard to stay mad at him because he is my best friend. Just so you know there is a lot more to this story because that girl was crazy but she ended up moving out of town and I think the brother went with her. Oh well.

cookingfor5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookingfor5 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 4:28pm
post #30 of 64

Everyone's stories are great! After I wrote mine, I asked my husband what he thinks our story is. Being a man of few words, he said we met at a party. Men are funny!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%