I Sure Hope Someone Has A Suggestion?!?!?

Decorating By coolmom Updated 14 Jan 2007 , 2:40am by JackSkellington11

coolmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coolmom Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 11:14pm
post #1 of 12

I have a cake order....well, I'll just let you read the request for yourself. What would you suggest?

Quote:
Quote:

The boy on the 27th is Alex and he is turning 7. He is having a laser tag party. I was not going to get themed plates, but just bright colors, like neon colors if I can find them. He is not a big sports nut. He likes Ice Hockey and is just starting lessons. He loves music and is high energy all boy. I hope that helps a little. I am very open to any ideas you have. It needs to feed about 20-25 people. He would like a chocolate cake.

icon_confused.gif

11 replies
mendhigurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mendhigurl Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 11:24pm
post #2 of 12

I was trying to find something with the lasertag theme, which proved to be quite difficult. You could (I wouldn't like this, but you never know) do a cake cut in the shape of, and decorated like a laser tag gun. OR maybe go with the ice hockey theme. If he has a favorite team, like the charlotte checkers, you could make a fbct, or even the team he plays for. I don't know how to convey "high energy" on a cake, so that's what I've come up with so far. HTH.

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 11:27pm
post #3 of 12

Is this a sheet cake, round, stacked?

Can you do a 3D cake of a dog or something? Sounds like she doesn't really care, but wants something different than Costco....

cordy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cordy Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 11:28pm
post #4 of 12

It seems everything old is new again, so maybe you could make a large square with dark background with neon colored slashes across the cake...think bad 80's t-shirts! It would look like a laser light show...seriously dorky sounding I know, but in my mind it looks very cool icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 11:36pm
post #5 of 12

Or maybe a chocolate cake with neon (fondant) circles like bubbles on it? Chocolate with color splashes.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 11:43pm
post #6 of 12

Well, if the boy is learning ice hockey, I can tell you that some of the most brightly colored sports uniforms out there are hockey uniforms. Perhaps some edible images of team logos, a couple of hockey sticks from fondant, and a couple of chocolate-covered Oreos as pucks?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

icing_eater Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icing_eater Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 12:57am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordy

...maybe you could make a large square with dark background with neon colored slashes across the cake...think bad 80's t-shirts!...seriously dorky sounding I know

WOW!!! I can picture that and I think it's awesome. icon_smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Or maybe a chocolate cake with neon (fondant) circles like bubbles on it?

That sounds pretty cool as well.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 1:24am
post #8 of 12

I just uploaded a laser tag vest cake to my gallery. Maybe it will help.

coolmom Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 5:19pm
post #9 of 12

Wow! Thanks for all of the ideas! I forgot to click on "watch this topic" and I didn't know that I had any replies! What a great surprise!

She did not give me any specifications on whether she wanted square/round/tiered, etc. I was planning on giving her 2 or three options whenever you guys came up with something. I like the dark background, bright color thing. Maybe I could do one layer with that idea, and then a 3-D laser tag vest as the second layer? I don't know. I am really not good a "boy stuff". icon_lol.gificon_rolleyes.gif

coolmom Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 5:21pm
post #10 of 12

Oh, and DianeLM, that is an AMAZING cake. Would you mind giving me a synopsis of how you did that so I can decide if I could pull it off? It looks wonderful!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 5:40pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmom

Oh, and DianeLM, that is an AMAZING cake. Would you mind giving me a synopsis of how you did that so I can decide if I could pull it off? It looks wonderful!

Judging from your photos, the laser tag vest will be a piece o' cake for you! I carved it from a single layer 10x15, then iced with black buttercream. The shoulder targets are RK treats covered with red fondant. The big target is cake iced red. I made the lenses for the targets out of red chocolate so they'd shine. I just poured the chocolate on a textured mat, then cut it to fit the targets. Unfortunately, you can't see how shiny they are in the picture, but they did look cool!

The gun was shaped with RK treats and covered with black fondant. All details are fondant.

JackSkellington11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JackSkellington11 Posted 14 Jan 2007 , 2:40am
post #12 of 12

Maybe you could do a sheet cake that is covered in black fondant and has two gray guns pointing at eachother. There could be a red and a green laser pointing out of them and them maybe a cute little saying or something.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%