Help! How Do I Fade Orange Into White?

Decorating By Tenilled Updated 1 Oct 2008 , 3:53am by deliciously_decadent

Tenilled Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tenilled Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 7:49pm
post #1 of 8

Help!! I have to do a cake for a church with their logo on it. The logo has several areas where the colors fade into other colors - dark yellow into white, orange into yellow. I don't know how (or have the supplies) to airbrush. Any suggestions??? I have less than a week to do this. Any thoughts or help will be much appreciated!

The cake will be 11x30 with kind of a sunset (with the sun) for the background.

7 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 8:55pm
post #2 of 8

You could hand paint on fondant using gel colors... and since it's such a large cake, if youa re doing it in buttercream you can make a fondant or gumpaste plaque, let it dry and paint the logo on that.

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 8:08am
post #3 of 8

i had a client who wanted an air brush effect on an ocean themed cake ~she wanted blue to fade up to white at the top of each tier so i made up a few contaners of blue/green food colour mixed with decorators alcohol and lustre and had each container lighter than the one before and a container of straight alcohol and cut up a new sponge into little squares as sponged from bottom to top getting lighter as i went then let dry and blended with the clear alcohol. we were both very happy with how it turned out will pop it below:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1260936

Tenilled Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tenilled Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 2:28am
post #4 of 8

Thanks for the great ideas. I've never worked with decorator's alcohol. Could I use it if I painted on fondant? Can you find it at any store that carries decorating supplies?

How do you do the fondant plaque? Do you paint it first and then put it on the cake or do you put the fondant piece on the cake, let it dry and then paint it?

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 3:12am
post #5 of 8

If you want the airbrush look but do not have an airbrush, Wilton makes spray food colors that come in cans. Just like spray paint, only edible. They are available at Joann's Fabrics, Michaels Crafts, etc. I used to use them all the time before I got my airbrush. Granted, you can't get as precise as you can with an actual airbrush, but it might be enough to get you the look you're going for. They are only about $4.00 per color & I think they are available in all the primary colors (I know they have orange & yellow for sure though).

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 3:14am
post #6 of 8

Sorry, afterthought............

Here you go! I just found it on the Wilton website, it's called "color mist":

Go here:
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30CC9B-475A-BAC0-5F9882E09D5A7630&fid=8130DC67-475A-BAC0-5F7AA15D8CA33116

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 3:20am
post #7 of 8

Adatay, I was thinking the same thing in my head, but i've never attempted it before. Great to know someone's actually had success with the method. Thanks

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 3:53am
post #8 of 8

no problem! i think you would need the decorators alcohol as ot is 95% alcohol and evaporates superfast or your fondant might get to sticky and start to slide? decorators alocohol is almost pure alcohol and i you can get it from most suppliers in australia, i don't know about the states? but it is the best stuff! due to the high alcohol content you can only buy 500ml at a time so i need a new bottle with every order icon_biggrin.gif I use it for everything from mixing with lustre as it doesn't streak like vodka or gin to spot cleaning if you get s smudge on your fondant. luv the stuff!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%