How Much Should I Charge...

Decorating By LisaD923 Updated 29 Sep 2008 , 11:17pm by costumeczar

LisaD923 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 7:22pm
post #1 of 8

HI All!
Very new to cake baking/decorating (w/in the past year). Loving it and hope to learn a lot from you!

My mom's good friend just asked me to remake the cake I made for my sister's wedding shower.

It was just a triple layer chocolate cake with a fudgy chocolate filling and chocolate buttercream icing. I'll be doing some birthday decorating but nothing too fancy (I'm not that good...yet!!)

How much should I charge for this. Looking for 2 prices...one if I was charging a stranger, and one for charging a good family friend (I offered to do it for free, but that didn't fly!)

7 replies
angelcakes5 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 7:34pm
post #2 of 8

What size would this cake be and shape? Do you know how many servings?

LisaD923 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 10:02pm
post #3 of 8

3, 9 in round layers...not really sure how many servings that would be. I'm sorry...very new at this!!

angelcakes5 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 10:42pm
post #4 of 8

For just a 9 inch round 2 layers decorated I charge $30. Hopefuly someone else will see this and give you an idea. Usually mine includes a filling too. Good luck and the cake sounds great. I love chocolate!!

Rocketgirl899 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 11:00pm
post #5 of 8

30 for 2 9 layers.... sounds right.

do you make your own frosting? For me that is the expensive part. ($25 a batch) but I can usually ice and dam a 6,8,10 Cake.

since its a family friend I would charge roughly the cost of what the grocery store would charge.. maybe 10-15 more.

For good friends I usually charge cost plus 20-50 depending on how hard it is. Just enough to let me buy some new fancy cake tool or cover the cost of a new pan icon_smile.gif

2sdae Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 11:03pm
post #6 of 8

For a triple layer with chocolate filling and butter cream I 'd charge 40, it's more servings 3 layers.
For a friend I'd do what it costs me to make it only...but be your own judge using your local bakeries prices and average them out. But make sure it at least covers your expenses.
Also I wouldn't let it be known you have friend discounts and regular pricing as feelings can get hurt or you can get taken advantage of really easily.
People tend to use the "well arent WE friends too" kinda thing.

LisaD923 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 11:11pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks all! I appreciate your thoughts!! great suggestions!

costumeczar Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 11:17pm
post #8 of 8

Oh [email protected] no...A 2-layered 9" cake will serve 25-30, depending on whose serving chart you're looking at. With the description of the cake flavor, you won't be getting people cutting huge pieces because it will be so rich, so don't think "oh, people at parties eat bigger pieces than at weddings." You'll get at least 25 pieces out of it, but then add the third layer and you'll be getting 10-12 more servings out of it.

If you're charging $30 for a 9" on a regular basis, you're only charging around $1 a serving, which is WAY too low. Can you even cover your costs for that? Your costs also include your time, your electricity, your gas to go to the store, cake boards. etc., not just the ingredients.

Whew!! Okay, now I'll breathe a little...For the cake you're describing, with minimal decorating, I'd charge a minimum of $60 if it was someone I really liked! If it was a random party or wedding cake, it would be closer to $100, and that's only because of the minimal decorating. If they wanted any kind of work on the outside to make it look pretty, it goes up.

Having said that, if you want to give it to her for a gift, go ahead, just refuse to take any money. If she gives you a check, you don't have to cash it! But if you do decide to charge her for it, and only charge her for materials, don't forget what the real cost is, it's not just the ingredients!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%