Exception To The Rule...advice Needed

Business By cakesbycathy Updated 4 Oct 2008 , 4:38am by CakeMommie

Shannie13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannie13 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 6:40am
post #31 of 41

doesn't powdered sugar have gluten in it. I remember the restaurant couldn't put the powdered sugar on a lady's cheesecake because she was allergic to gluten. I know there are alternative icings was just wondering if anyone knew or not?

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 7:11am
post #32 of 41

If I had to make a special icing, I wouldn't discount anything. Afterall, one must figure in research....for the recipe and then to see if it can be used to decorate.

whimsette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whimsette Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 3:16pm
post #33 of 41

You're getting a lot of great advice here. I do gluten-free cakes and do try to cater to any allergy/sensitivity issues. (I have walnut/pecan allergies so I know what it's like to be on that end of the problem.)

For any cake that requires special handling, I do an amendment to the contract and that has to be signed by all parties. The amendment has a waiver of liability.

I do not accept outside cakes at all. Why? My insurance company says a big, fat NO WAY to that. They will not cover me in the case of something going wrong with a cake from another source (that I've decorated). If someone gets sick from that cake, I'm basically screwed. That's something I'd really look into with your insurance company before you say yes.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 8:14pm
post #34 of 41

all4cake - thank you for that website. That list is incredibly helpful. Thanks to everyone else, too. If I thought there was a big enough market for it, I might add these to the products I offer. But I don't think I'd get enough business to make it worthwhile.

Anyway, I have a tasting set up with the bride, MOB and FOB this Sat. I'm going to attempt the gluten free cake mix and maybe I will also make a flourless chocolate torte as another alternative. The more I think about it, I just do not want to deal with the MOB baking a cake.

Should I be concerned about my icing?
I use butter, shortening, powdered sugar, non-dairy creamer and artificial white vanilla.

OT - how's this for ironic? DS may have a gluten/wheat intolerance. We are taking him Tuesday for a blood test.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 8:59pm
post #35 of 41

For the tasting, make sure your icing you mention is on it. Notify them both by telling them and in writing of the ingredients before the tasting and have them sign it that they are aware of the ingredients. If they swell up like puffer fish, I'd say, no, your icing may need to be tweaked.

Ah, man! I sure hope for the best with your son.

(ya'll know I'm only messin' with the swellin' like puffer fish comment, right?)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 9:08pm
post #36 of 41

All4cake--I think the puffer fish thing is soooo funny. I mean it's a certifiable very serious topic but I mean we're talking about weddings and cake and avoiding people swelling up like puffer fish hopefully.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 9:16pm
post #37 of 41

Some alcohol (think your vanilla) is wheat based.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 11:59pm
post #38 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

Should I be concerned about my icing?
I use butter, shortening, powdered sugar, non-dairy creamer and artificial white vanilla.

Powdered sugar does not have wheat in it unless the corn starch is not corn starch, if it's "modified food starch" it could be wheat-based starch; just check the label.

However I'd be more concerned about the non dairy creamer; you just need to check the ingredients. If the ndc says "natural flavors" it COULD contain wheat. Now, that is not a given, in fact I visited a gluten free product website which listed ingredients of its baked goods, several of which contain "artificial and natural flavors." But the point is, you don't know what those flavors are derived from, unless they specifically state that the product is GF. I'd ask your customer if they know if they can consume non-dairy creamers....or check the package or even the mfr's website to see if they mention if their goods are gf.

As for vanilla, according to this website (see p.7) vanilla and artificial vanilla are gf: http://www.celiacguide.org/articles/Gluten_free_eating_CCA_final.pdf It also says confectioner's sugar is ok. thumbs_up.gif

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 12:26am
post #39 of 41

Thank you so much for the info about the icing ingredients. I can always substitute water for the creamer.

According the wedding planner, the MOB is becoming quite the PITA. Apparently her latest demand is that the WP rent a snow machine for a beautiful visual effect. The wedding is in February. In Ohio. Trust me, we'll have the snow. Would be pretty funny to see her blow up like a pufferfish. icon_biggrin.gif

Okay, I'm just kidding!

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 6:18am
post #40 of 41

I've got an aunt with a corn allergy, so the thing I've learned to do, and even though it costs me on average $.30 more per 2# bag, is I purchase pure cane sugar without additives for my powdered sugar... C&H is what I use now and it's also because I don't have to worry about something else sneeking in there...

I agree with the others in worrying about the non-dairy creamer in what's in there... A lot of times you can simply call the company and they'll tell you "yes or no"...

CakeMommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommie Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 4:38am
post #41 of 41

If you do decide to decorate the cake, why not charge by the hour + ingredients?

My youngest daughter is allergic to everything under the sun -milk, soy, wheat, all dairy, peanuts, etc. People often ask me, well gosh, what do you feed the child? I'm always caught off guard by that question... food! It has been a little bit of a struggle, but we have adapted. It is just part of life. If you can't have one thing, eat something else! Find something else you like as a substitute. Do these people REALLY have to have cake? Why not beautifully decorated chocolate covered strawberries or some other fancy dessert just for them since they can't eat the cake? My daughter (who is only 3 1/2) is fine with us eating something she can't have, as long as there is something else for her. If we eat ice cream, she eats sorbet - and she's happy. And some of that is us learning to eat foods that don't contain the things she's allergic to.

I see your dilemma, but if it were me, I think I'd opt out from decorating something that is not my own from start to finish.

Sorry for rambling... Hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%