Dipping Chocolate - Merckens Or Guittard

Decorating By mbt4955 Updated 30 Sep 2008 , 12:55pm by mbt4955

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 7:09pm
post #1 of 9

I was reading the thread about molds for chocolate covered Oreo's and I ordered the molds yesterday (Nutter Butter too!), but I can't bear to use Wilton Candy Melts and I have had trouble getting regular chocolate to the right softness. I am either going to order Merckens candy coating or Guittard A'Peels Dipping Compound. Has anyone here ever used this Guittard product? Here are the ingredients for the dark chocolate - Sugar, partially hydrogenated palm kernel oil, whey, nonfat milk, soya lecithin, natural and artificial flavor and pure real vanilla. It is more expensive, but I have a feeling that it might taste better.

I would love to have the chocolate here when my molds arrive, so any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Martha

8 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 7:26pm
post #2 of 9

Guittards tastes better, but is a little more temperamental then merkins.

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 7:35pm
post #3 of 9

just curious - where are you ordering from?

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 7:38pm
post #4 of 9

I use Guittard, mostly because it's available at my local cake supply. Sams club has Godiva available at this time.

mbt4955 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 7:41pm
post #5 of 9

I am in central Texas. I hadn't even thought about Sam's Club, but I'll try to get out there to check.

ccarroca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccarroca Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 3:02am
post #6 of 9

I wanted to try something new and I am making a batch of the 60% caco ghiradelli chips that you add 1T shortening to for every cup of chips. Takes a little longer to set up then wiltons, but OMG the taste????? Just heavenly. Absolutely orgasmic actually. I will let them all set up well, pop them out and drizzle with a white chocolate just to make them look pretty.

This is why I HIGHLY recommend having at LEAST three molds or you will be doing it forever and ever amen - LOL

Good luck

Oh yes, and if you'd rather - definitely guittards - their syrups are fantastic!

mbt4955 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 3:43am
post #7 of 9

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I ordered dark and white Guittard chocolate wafers. They are coming from California, but she is going to pack them with an ice pack so hopefully they will survive the trip. Then I went to Sam's to look for Godiva. I didn't find it, but they did have Ghiradelli Double Chocolate dipping bars. I should have plenty to cover the 3+ pound box of Oreo's that I found while I was there. As soon as my cookie molds arrive, I'll give both types a try. Hopefully they will look good enough for me to post. icon_biggrin.gif

Naturally I have bags and bags of Wilton candymelts ... any suggestions on what to do with those???? tapedshut.gif

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 5:22am
post #8 of 9

i think they both work just about the same....and well.

mbt4955 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 12:55pm
post #9 of 9

Regarding using chips and shortening - has anyone ever tried that method using white chips?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%