Black Coloring

Baking By MEME1977 Updated 29 Sep 2008 , 6:49pm by justsweet

MEME1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MEME1977 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 6

I'M NEW TO CAKE DECORATING...AND I WANTED TO KNOW IF SOMEONE COULD GIVE ME SOME POINTERS ON HOW TO GET MY BUTTERCREAM ICING TO TURN TO A TRUE BLACK COLOR NOT A GRAYISH BLACK BUT A NORMAL BLACK COLOR......PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

5 replies
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 6:30pm
post #2 of 6

I'm sure you will get a ton of replies but start with chocolate buttercream, also if you use the hershey dark cocoa you are really close to black by then and it takes very little food coloringicon_smile.gif

Otherwise I buy the tube of Wilton black if I am only doing accents.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 6:32pm
post #3 of 6

Use Americolor Super Black.....It will turn white icing to black in no time and with fairly little.Wilton will take the whole bottle!

baycheeks1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baycheeks1 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 6:37pm
post #4 of 6

I bought the black tube of Wilton Icing. Just like sillywabbitz said use cocoa so it will be chocoalte brown, then add the black food color.

If you want it to be Vanilla, you can make it a dark brown color with Wilton or Americolor then use the black color to make it back. That's how I color my fondant.

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 6:39pm
post #5 of 6

I used a whole tube of Americolor Black and one and a half of Wilton last night and it looks more purple that black. It was already starting to bleed into the white buttercream this morning. Red and Black are tough colors. I am going to go buy premade this evening.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 6:49pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKing12

I used a whole tube of Black and one and a half of Wilton last night and it looks more purple that black. It was already starting to bleed into the white buttercream this morning. Red and Black are tough colors. I am going to go buy premade this evening.

Americolor black has purple tint to it and chefmaster has something of a green.

This is how I make mine. color my frosting a brown color. Let for awhile, then add black. You need to let it sit for a day then it will darken it is like making red. You should always make a few days ahead of time so it can sit and deepen in color.

good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%