Help With Filling A Cake?????

Decorating By RevRicky Updated 29 Sep 2008 , 11:39pm by Deb_

RevRicky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RevRicky Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 4

I don't often fill cakes with anything other than buttercream because of the first wedding cake I did. They wanted lemon - so I used lemon pudding. It seemed to be absorbed into my cake and disappeared completely - what went wrong??? Help - I really would like to use fruit fillings.

3 replies
stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 6:32pm
post #2 of 4

I've never really had that happen before. I have used chocolate pudding with a chocolate cake and they did blend together a bit but you could still taste the difference. I would give it another try. If you just want to play around, go simple. Use premade pie filling. I use the rasberry one I think by comstock and its pretty good, goes great with chocolate cake and IMBC. don't forget your dam before you fill otherwise it will ooze out the sides.

grams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grams Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 11:31pm
post #3 of 4

Before I put the filling on I put a very thin layer of buttercream over the layer then pipe the dam and then spread on the filling. The thin layer of buttercream keeps the filling from soaking in. For a pudding filling I also make it a little thicker or firmer by adding less milk to the pudding mix.

I use the sleeves of filling that I buy from my cake supply store. They come in many fruit flavors as well as creams.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 11:39pm
post #4 of 4

Maybe the lemon filling was too thin.

I do what grams does. When I crumb coat I also crumbcoat the top of every layer. It definitely helps so that the filling doesn't get absorbed into the cake.

When I'm filling a white cake with say a raspberry or strawberry filling I always do a double dam and let it stiffen up a bit before putting the top layer on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%