Swiss Buttercream

Decorating By tyty Updated 29 Sep 2008 , 4:36pm by tyty

tyty Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 3:46pm
post #1 of 7

I made swiss buttercream for the second time yesterday. The first time I made it I didn't like it, it tasted like a mouth full of butter. I tried it again and added more flavoring, vanilla and hazelnut. It tasted much much better and was silky smooth. I used it on a chocolate cake and I love the way it spread over the cake and I was able to get those thick layers of filling.

Now I'd like to know how do I make it chocolate? Can fruit be added? Cream cheese? Rum? etc

6 replies
PinkZiab Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 3:59pm
post #2 of 7

Just melt chocolate (how much is up to you and your taste) and blend it in. You can add fruit (jams, purees), extracts, syrups, booze, nut pastes, etc. I've never added cream cheese, as I make a different cream cheese frosting altogether, but I suppose it's worth some experimenting. Otherwise you can flavor it with just about anything.

jbc Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 4:17pm
post #3 of 7

mmm.. sounds good to me! Probably just because it conjures up images of chocolate. Do you suppose you could post the recipe? I would like to give it a try, but couldn't find a recipe when I looked it up. I am always looking for something different to use for my Dad since he doesn't really like frosting because everything to him is so sweet.

sweetiemama Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 4:24pm
post #4 of 7

Tyty,
Check out Melysa's (sp.?) smbc recipe here on CC. It is wonderful! She also gives instructions for adding cream cheese, chocolate, etc. Her recipe also has the extra flavorings, which makes it not so buttery. I added white chocolate to mine the other day. Yummm!!
HTH,
Sweetiemama

tyty Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 4:29pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks everyone, I can't wait to try different flavors.

Pastry-Panda Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 4:33pm
post #6 of 7

It's excellent with cream cheese!! I made some at work for my chocolate pistachio cake Two days ago , delicious!!! I really love SMBC , I use it for everything. Flavor possibilities are endless!

tyty Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 4:36pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastry-Panda

It's excellent with cream cheese!! I made some at work for my chocolate pistachio cake Two days ago , delicious!!! I really love SMBC , I use it for everything. Flavor possibilities are endless!

Chocolate pistachio cake, that sound delicious. I've heard of pistachio filling too. Where do you find the pistachio paste? or do you use something else?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%