Satin Ice Covered, How Long In Advance?

Decorating By Idreamofcakes Updated 2 Oct 2008 , 8:54pm by cookieswithdots

Idreamofcakes Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 3:33pm
post #1 of 7

I'm doing my first satin ice covered cake and was wondering how long in advance I can do it and still have a great tasting moist cake. Also can it be refridgerated without droopiong or color bleeding...meaning can I put all the decorations and trim on and refridgerate or just cover and do the decor on the day of? There are 3 seperate cakes for one baby shower, not stacked, so I want to do as much as possible on each cake as I go.

Thanks for any help icon_smile.gif

6 replies
kakeladi Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 6:59pm
post #2 of 7

You can do it about 3 days before. Some people don't like putting them in the frig because they probably will sweat when removed, however if you have the cake boxed in the frig & leave it boxed for several hrs after removing there should be no problem as the sweat will evaporate.
If you have an unheated room you could store it in you could advoid all of that.

doughdough Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 7:15pm
post #3 of 7

I would say 2-3 days ahead is the maximum you can do. I normally do it about 1-2 days though. I wouldn't refrigerate unless you absolutely have to, and if you do just be sure you give the cakes ample time to come back to room tempurature to avoid sweat-spots!

Idreamofcakes Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 2:30pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you for your help!
Didn't even think about the sweating issue...DUH!
Thanks again

PinkZiab Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 2:34pm
post #5 of 7

I refrigerate all of my cakes (and I only use satin ice). I only have sweating issues on the absolute hottest days fo the year when my AC just isn't cutting it. On those days just let the cake sit for a little bit and it'll evaporate.

Idreamofcakes Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 6:48pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks...i'm covering tomorrow for Saturday. Ended up having time I Friday I didn't think i would have.
Thanks again!

cookieswithdots Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 8:54pm
post #7 of 7

I have a wedding due on Sat. and I'm in the process now of putting the fondant on. I've always put mine in the fridge and had good luck. I'm kind of debating now if I should go ahead and decorate the smaller individual 6" today. It's for the daughter of the bride. It's a chocolate fondant with an ivory bow. Any thoughts if I would have problems????

Quote by @%username% on %date%