I Feel I Need To Defend My Latest Cakes!

Decorating By berryblondeboys Updated 29 Sep 2008 , 10:50pm by DebBTX

berryblondeboys Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 1:46pm
post #1 of 9

My latest cakes have been somewhat "special" in that they are hard to make super pretty. The coconut cake was all organic with fresh coconut and a very fluffy, quick melting/deflating frosting... not showy.

The phantom cake she wanted all butter (which I always do anyway), but it was one of the hottest and humid days of the year and my Ac couldn't keep up!

I almost didn't post them because they didn't look "magazine ready". Even my naughty cake (if you call a bikini top bust a naughty cake) was my first attempt at trying to cover in fondant somethng so HUGE and it ripped in a couple places!

Ever feel like you're taking a step back instead of forwards?

ETA: I'm not fishing for compliments, just feeling rather humbled by people who turn out great cakes ALLLL the time!

8 replies
vickymacd Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 1:54pm
post #2 of 9

How are we all going to learn if we don't post our cakes whether we think they are good or bad. Hey, I post mine, which most times I think are okay to me, but compared to others look like garbage. But with each cake, I learn something. I don't generally post to show it off, but to see what others may say I could either have improved on or giving me a new look to it or thought they thought it was cool.

Everyone is different here and that's what's so great about this site.

bellejoey Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 2:01pm
post #3 of 9

berryblondeboys, I think you have a great deal of talent! I do know what you are going thru by the way! There are times when I feel I am going backwards as well..but I guarantee that this will pass and you will feel like you are moving forwards again! To all of us, your cakes look fantastic..but I just wanted to share that I know exactly how you feel!! It will pass. icon_smile.gif

mellormom Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 2:21pm
post #4 of 9

Your cakes are great! We are always are own worst critic!
I use MMF and for a while I just couldn't get it to turn out right for the life of me! But now it turns out fab every time! We all go threw what you are going threw! All we can do is learn from each cake and do it different the next time.
I don't post on here to get recognition. (although it is nice) I post because I work so hard on my cakes that I want more than just a few people to view them. Plus If I make a practice cake at least someone can view it so all my hard work wasn't for nothing. LOL
Also, if I did a cake and had a problem with it but figured out how to solve it then I can let others know what I did wrong and what worked to fix it. icon_smile.gif
We just had a famous cake decorator Cele Bergious talk to us yesterday at our cake meeting. She was telling us a story about how she took one of her cakes to the venue and on the way the cake slid sideways when the went over the bumps so by the time they got there the whole bottom tier was sagging. They had to rush home get another cake that she had made and fix it right there at the venue quick as a flash. The mother of the bride was so impressed that Cele made her cakes right there at the venue! LOL The cake looked great and all was fine. It just goes to show you even the best decorators have slip ups now and then.
HTH
Jen...

DebBTX Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 2:35pm
post #5 of 9

"Special cakes". What a kind way to talk about cakes that were trying. icon_lol.gif I would be amazed if a cake person didn't go through times like these.

You have worked so hard. Just your list of recipes and organic ingredients shows how important it is to you to be your best for your customers.

Your fun side shows on your site. I like how you don't want to toot your own horn about the great taste of your cakes, then add, Toot, Toot! and encourage people to consider ordering more cake or larger sizes bacause they will eat more of your cakes. icon_lol.gif

Difficult days and cakes will pass. Have fun with the ones in the future.

-Debbie B. icon_biggrin.gif

Win Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 2:41pm
post #6 of 9

And here's the funny thing about posting your photos... sometimes you post one that you think was a personal best --and then it just slips right past by and gets about four views! LOL. It's a great way to get humbled really fast. Then, once, I posted one that I had issues with (but obviously posted anyway) and it got hit dozens of times!!! Go figure! Moral to the story? Post away. You never know what someone else is looking to for inspiration. You have nothing to defend in your work!

jammjenks Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 3:15pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

And here's the funny thing about posting your photos... sometimes you post one that you think was a personal best --and then it just slips right past by and gets about four views! LOL. It's a great way to get humbled really fast. Then, once, I posted one that I had issues with (but obviously posted anyway) and it got hit dozens of times!!! Go figure! Moral to the story? Post away. You never know what someone else is looking to for inspiration. You have nothing to defend in your work!

I can relate to this! If I do one and it takes me 6 hrs sometimes it goes by w/o being noticed. If I do some cupcakes with a swirl on top that took literally 5 min to ice, they make the favorites for the day....go figure. What I really like is when a cake of mine is months old and gets a new comment. That way I know that someone took their time out to leave it and it wasn't just a pity comment (Lord knows, I've had my share of pity ones too).

berryblondeboys Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 9:19pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks everyone! I've also been disheartened beause that BEAUTIFUL and very EXPENSIVE to make fruit topped cake was not "enjoyed" by the customers. I charged $100 for that cake (it was 12x1icon_cool.gif. JUST the ingredients for that cake was about $50. They said it was too sweet and dry. I got the too dry with an old recipe, but since I've changed it, never. Maybe because it needed to be refrigerated? Anyway, every time (and it's happened a couple times only) someone doesn't like my cakes, I feel so deflated. I know I lost a customer, they feel they didn't get their money's worth and word of mouth is gone. My nerves just can't take it!

I'm glad people have high expectations once they've tried my cakes, but sometimes, for some reason, it doesn't work... if it were for my family they would say, "oh well, next time will be better." but when people pay? You don't get that forgiveness or second chance.

Mleissa

DebBTX Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 10:50pm
post #9 of 9

I wish that we all could stand by you to help calm your nerves. You really are doing a great job.

Has anyone else noticed how many threads on CC are bringing up customers who are using the "it was dry" complaint? You would think that there was a national movement for people to get discounts or refunds by complaining about one thing or another. I am beginning to think that the same people are going from one place to another wanting nice things, yet making it a life-style to see how much they can get for free or next to free. Almost as if it were a game. Some of these people are just old-fashioned bullies. If the vendor is unwilling to be taken advantage of, they take their business elsewhere, i.e. fleece the next one in line.

Please don't let these folk get you down.

-Debbie B.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%