To Dowel Or Not To Dowel??

Decorating By cakebaker1957 Updated 29 Sep 2008 , 9:14pm by BlakesCakes

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 1:34pm
post #1 of 16

Im making a stacked cake for Thursday its a 8in rd and a 6in rd 2in deep
IM taking it to the place and setting it up its a birthday cake do you think that i would need to use dowel rods i will not transport it stacked i will stack it once i get where im going i just dont want the 6in mashing the 8in
Thanks

15 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 1:41pm
post #2 of 16

You still need some sort of support under the top layers. Dowels, straws... something to support the upper tier.

cakebaker1957 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 1:49pm
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

You still need some sort of support under the top layers. Dowels, straws... something to support the upper tier.

Thanks i wasnt for sure i guess the old saying goes when indoubt dont do it, I may use straws there easier to cut(:

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 5:33pm
post #4 of 16

It never hurts to put in some support.
The general rule of thumb is use dowels for every 4"or 5" of heigth......so if the 6"er is only 2" in heigth, you don't really need doweling.

cakebaker1957 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 5:35pm
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

It never hurts to put in some support.
The general rule of thumb is use dowels for every 4"or 5" of heigth......so if the 6"er is only 2" in heigth, you don't really need doweling.

Well over all it will be 4in tall so will the 8in for a total of 8in tall for both of them hope im not confusing you

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 6:01pm
post #6 of 16

If you were doing a 2-layer 8" cake, you wouldn't dowel these 2 layers. You have the same thing except the top layer happens to be smaller.

I wouldn't dowel this one.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 6:03pm
post #7 of 16

........ its a 8in rd and a 6in rd 2in deep ....
I based my reply on th is ^^^ info.

It matters not what heigth the 'base' cake is.... be it 2, 4, 8 or 10" tall........what is important is what heigth going on top of it.
Soooooo if you have a 2" tall 8" round cake but a 4" tall 6" cake going on top of it then Yes, you should dowel.
If putting a 2" tall cake on a 2" tall cake it is not necessary........but again, it never hurts to be safe instead of sorry icon_smile.gif

cakebaker1957 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 6:04pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

If you were doing a 2-layer 8" cake, you wouldn't dowel these 2 layers. You have the same thing except the top layer happens to be smaller.

I wouldn't dowel this one.

Even if im to stack the 6in on the 8in?? Oh by the way indydebi, Thanks for your receipe for the bc icing i did on my fake cake for the fair , it turned out great(:

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 6:06pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaker1957

... for a total of 8in tall for both of them...

Sorry, I just saw this info. I retract my last post and agree you need dowels. icon_redface.gif

cakebaker1957 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 6:06pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

........ its a 8in rd and a 6in rd 2in deep ....
I based my reply on th is ^^^ info.

It matters not what heigth the 'base' cake is.... be it 2, 4, 8 or 10" tall........what is important is what heigth going on top of it.
Soooooo if you have a 2" tall 8" round cake but a 4" tall 6" cake going on top of it then Yes, you should dowel.
If putting a 2" tall cake on a 2" tall cake it is not necessary........but again, it never hurts to be safe instead of sorry icon_smile.gif

sorry kakeladi , the overall size on both rounds will be 4in tall 2layers of each, i didnt know if the 6in one would squish the 8in on with out dowel rods holding it up.
Thanks

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 6:16pm
post #11 of 16

Alright I'm confused. The bottom 8 inch cake will only be 2' tall. The top 6 inch will also be 2' tall. Is this right?
LL

Cherie206 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cherie206 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 6:20pm
post #12 of 16

Personally, I would use something for support, straws would even work. I would rather be safe than sorry.... You won't need too many, but it would be terrible if your cake got ruined because you didn't put a couple of straws in. I didn't do it once and my cake ended up unbalanced and looked awful. Live and learn, I say! Good luck

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 6:21pm
post #13 of 16

Or is this correct?
LL

mandifrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandifrye Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 6:28pm
post #14 of 16

Okay, I am no expert, but I have had a DIASTER experience in this exact area.

DOWEL THE BOTTOM LAYER TO SUPPORT THE TOP! If you don't, you will squish the bottom. Trust me, not a pretty sight!!

P.S. I think that both tiers will be 4 inches tall. Right? She is using a 2 inch pan and layering those to make a tier. Just my intrepretation!!

HTH icon_biggrin.gif

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 7:47pm
post #15 of 16

Always, always, always, always dowl your stacked cakes! Dowls, straws, skewers, anything to support the top layer. Even if it's not a heavy cake, it's better to be safe than sorry!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 9:14pm
post #16 of 16

I've read this 4 times and I'm still confused icon_eek.gif

Boiled down:

8" round, 2" tall + 6" round, 2" tall= no dowels
8" round, 2" tall + 6" round, 4" tall= dowels
8" round, 4" tall,+ 6" round ,2" tall= dowel, just to be safe
8" round, 4" tall,+ 6" round ,4" tall= always dowel

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%