Castle Cake

Decorating By Debbie45628 Updated 30 Sep 2008 , 5:31am by JanH

Debbie45628 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 5:18am
post #1 of 5

Have you made a castle cake and how hard was it...I bought the kit and wanted to try it this weekend, but the directions read like I will need the plastic dowels from Wilton, and of course I didn 't have any....any tips would be appreciated. I'd like to make one for this weekend...the haunted castle. Debbie

4 replies
FromScratch Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 5:27am
post #2 of 5

I have made a castle cake, but I didn't use the kit so I don't know how much help I will be in regards to that, but you can use regular dowels and a cardboard cake circle to support the upper tier.. you don't have to use the wilton plates and pillars. icon_smile.gif My castle is in my photos if you want to see it. I used dowels and cake circles.

toodlesjupiter Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 5:02pm
post #3 of 5

I also made a castle cake (in my photos), but I didn't use the kit. I wanted to say that I just read that you can use drinking straws instead of dowels for supports as well. You may have those already. HTH!

buffim Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 5:15pm
post #4 of 5

I made a castle cake (also in my pics) with the Wilton set. I think we (the friend I made it with, it was her kit) used regular wooden dowels that we attached with melted white chocolate. She has used royal icing as well, I don't know which method is better, but we did have a couple that we had to redo because they came off.

We wrapped most of the parts in fondant, but found it easier to do the tops in royal icing.

We drove with it for about 20 minutes and had no problems with it (we moved it mostly assembled)

Best of luck!

JanH Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 5:31am
post #5 of 5

Quote by @%username% on %date%