Making And Pricing A Mini Wedding Cake

Decorating By berryblondeboys Updated 29 Sep 2008 , 8:23pm by berryblondeboys

berryblondeboys Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 3:59am
post #1 of 6

I've been wanting to make this for awhile and now I have a request, but I have NO IDEA how to layer it and what to charge. She wants something very similar to this: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1233.html Same size, fondant covered, with some roses and simple design like this in a clear box with a ribbon for presentantion (If I can find it). Size is 2", 3" and 4" cakes.

Do I need separators for such a small and light cake? Maybe just one straw dowel all the way through??? Any thoughts?

Second, I do organic and my 8" double layer with BC is $45 delivered.

What do you think? is that about the same as an 8" double layer BC? So, $45??? Or will

5 replies
Kitagrl Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 4:26am
post #2 of 6

I would put boards btw layers and a few straws, if for nothing else than ease of serving.

How many does it serve? That's quite a bit of work for a small cake. Serves maybe 8-10 ppl? I probably would charge no less than $60, depending on how expensive your cake and filling will be. You need to cut and stack and support this small cake, unlike a regular 8 inch.

Have fun!

berryblondeboys Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 4:33am
post #3 of 6

This is smaller than you think. The top is only 2" round. Hold up your fingers and measure two inches. No more than one dowel would work without risk of ripping the cake apart and then it would be all dowel and no cake for serving. This would serve 3 people tops I would guess.

Kitagrl Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 4:38am
post #4 of 6

Right...I know, I figured a 4" cake would serve 4, the 3" cake would serve 2, and the top one. So 7 servings I guess.

I would still have a board under each cake though (ice the cake and then trim the board around it).....and maybe three little straws in the bottom at least, because if you pound a thin dowel through the entire thing, the force may squoosh the little layers if you don't at least have a tiny bit of support.

Have you ever iced a mini cake before? Don't take less than $50 for this....icing those little things before adding fondant is going to be murder. LOL. I did a bunch of mini one layer cakes that were about 4" and way undercharged, and they didn't have fondant nor were they stacked.

I'm just saying...if you undercharge, you'll hate this project. Good luck, its pretty though!

berryblondeboys Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 6:42pm
post #5 of 6

No one else has an idea on pricing of these?

She wants it with fondant and raspberry filling....

And is it really that hard to make mini cakes?

berryblondeboys Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 8:23pm
post #6 of 6

OK, I quoted her $45 and she seemed fine with that and said that if I find it should be more, to let her know! LOL I guess some friends don't try to nickel and dime ya!

Melissa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%