Kosher Cake

Decorating By berryblondeboys Updated 29 Sep 2008 , 4:23am by berryblondeboys

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 2:49am
post #1 of 6

I have a good friend who follows very strict kosher guidelines. She is asking about a kosher cake for her MIL. My cakes use dairy, so I would have to find something with no butter, no milk, no sour cream. I have pans that have never been used, so I can deal with that plus she said her MIL isn't so worried about kosher kitchen, but kosher ingredients.

HELP!!!! We have so many Jewish friends, so this could be a inroad for us too for making more cakes for that community.

Melissa

5 replies
funbun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funbun Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 3:03am
post #2 of 6

Now I'm not Jewish, but I thought that you could have dairy but not with meat. And that meat cannot be prepared in the same kitchen or use the same utensils. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think you can use dairy in your cakes. HTH icon_biggrin.gif

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 3:03am
post #3 of 6

See if you can contact kathik by PM. I used to see her here a lot and then she was taking a break. She used to bake kosher and she may be able to help you out.

berryblondeboys Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 3:43am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by funbun

Now I'm not Jewish, but I thought that you could have dairy but not with meat. And that meat cannot be prepared in the same kitchen or use the same utensils. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think you can use dairy in your cakes. HTH icon_biggrin.gif

You're right, I had a brain fart. Yes, I can use dairy... good thing! LOL

Melissa

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 4:05am
post #5 of 6

Doesn't Kosher mean that it has to be done in a Kosher kitchen? I do Kosher wedding cakes and have to make them in the Jewish synogoge kitchen, and ingredients have to be checked by the Kosher guy, and the supplies/pans used have to be brand new....never to have been used on any other item.
you make the cake in either the meat kitchen or the dairy kitchen. the food it is served with and the ingredients used determines which kitchen you use.

That is the true Kosher cake.

I've had to research.

melody

berryblondeboys Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 4:23am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by melodyscakes

Doesn't Kosher mean that it has to be done in a Kosher kitchen? I do Kosher wedding cakes and have to make them in the Jewish synogoge kitchen, and ingredients have to be checked by the Kosher guy, and the supplies/pans used have to be brand new....never to have been used on any other item.
you make the cake in either the meat kitchen or the dairy kitchen. the food it is served with and the ingredients used determines which kitchen you use.

melody

THis is true, but the gal's MIL isn't so strict to have it be TRULY Kosher, just no animal fat. The friend of mine is REALLLLLY kosher, so she would require it to be made in a kosher kitchen which is probably why she won't ask me to make her daughter's bah mitzvah cake next year.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%