My Sculpture Shattered On The Way To Art Exhibit

Lounge By kellertur Updated 30 Sep 2008 , 3:55pm by kellertur

kellertur Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 2:44am
post #1 of 4

I just felt like venting a self-absorbed little vent for those who care to read this... icon_sad.gif

For the past 5 years I've participated in an art exhibit in Binhampton, NY and I always ship my work. This year I sent two pieces ~ well one of them shattered in transit. I just received an email from the gallery. Luckily, the larger one survived the trip. I try not to be all that attached to my work, it's of personal meaning to me... but I try to follow the " 3 yr old rule" of: If a 3 yr old touches it, will it break??? ( That said, I would have rather lost the other piece... icon_cry.gif )

I don't know if cake is ever shipped, but if so, has this ever happened to anyone here?

Thanks for reading, and sorry for whining...

3 replies
susanmm23 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 12:01pm
post #2 of 4

WOW im sorry your art didnt make it. i dont ship cakes but cant imagine anything feels very good when it breaks. did you get any pics?

jjkarm Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 2:09pm
post #3 of 4

I was in a figure drawing class in college and the professor would sometimes display the best drawing of the day so others could see it. One day I had drawn a simple, fast gesture drawing that he'd chose to display it. I was thrilled and really loved the way the drawing had turned out. (Most of the time gesture drawing are not anything special.) I got all kinds of questions and comments from other students and felt great about it. The day after the professor took the drawings down, I asked him if I could pick mine up. He paused for a second....then said he couldn't find it!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif We both searched his room, but it was no where to be found. Even though I had other drawings displayed during the class, that gesture drawing was something special to me. Even now (25 years later) I will think about the drawing and wish I had it with me!

I'm so sorry this happened to you. It's painful when one of your "creations" is lost. Like you, I try not to become too attached.....but any time I create something, it comes from somewhere deep inside. And it hurts just a little to let it go.

Chin goes on! icon_wink.gif (But dang, I wish I had that drawing back icon_mad.gif !!!)

kellertur Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 3:55pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the empathy.

Yes, I do have photos... that's the first thing I do because most of my work is sent out of state so I have to send CD's for the Call for Artist entries. It was most upsetting (to my ego) because the gallery had written in the same email that they found it to be a compelling piece.
Oh well... back to the studio.

Quote by @%username% on %date%