Did You Hear Me Yell?

Business By momofjil Updated 30 Sep 2008 , 4:04pm by momofjil

momofjil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momofjil Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 2:38am
post #1 of 5

I have finally found a kitchen to rent. YEAH!!! icon_biggrin.gif In my small town, this is an accomplishment. Let's see....my daughter just turned 5, I started doing cakes just after she was born, have been doing cakes for friends and been telling others no since then but now I can do it! And now, I am SCARED. I don't know how to price. I need to take pictures of my cakes so I have a good portfolio (all the picks on here are from more than 2 yrs ago!) but how exciting icon_lol.gif Taxes, advertising, brides..... maybe I should rethink this icon_surprised.gif How do you all do it? I have done 4 wedding cakes and have just about stressed myself to death with all of them and now I am taking a step out. If I didn't love decorating cakes....

4 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 2:52am
post #2 of 5

Oh good for you and Congratulations! You'll do fine, I still get nervous about every Wedding cake I do. It's such an important part of the Wedding and I'm always afraid I'll drop it or dent it or whatever.

I think we're all the same...........we thrive on the stress of it icon_lol.gif

As far as pricing goes, when I first started selling my cakes, I called around or had my friends and family call around different bakeries and home bakers to get an idea of what they were charging and I went from there. Once you factor in your cost for rent, ingredients, time etc., you'll be able to come up with an amount that your comfortable with. Don't shortchange yourself....it's harder to raise your prices once you get people used to paying one price.

Good luck, I wish you much success icon_smile.gif

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 2:53am
post #3 of 5

So happy for you!! and so completely jealous!!

I am suffering from cake envy tonight!! I want my own shop so bad!! I turn people away all the time! SUX!

but at the same time I would be terrified to be in your shoes right now!!

Good luck! I know you will be great at it!

katefrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katefrosting Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 5:32am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelwaters

So happy for you!! and so completely jealous!!

I am suffering from cake envy tonight!! I want my own shop so bad!! I turn people away all the time! SUX!

but at the same time I would be terrified to be in your shoes right now!!

Good luck! I know you will be great at it!

Me too!!!

You have all my best wishes for success!

momofjil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momofjil Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 4:04pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you everyone! I just had someone ask me for some cupcakes...here we go!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%