My New Love And A Question!

Decorating By tcbalgord Updated 29 Sep 2008 , 6:13pm by tcbalgord

tcbalgord Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcbalgord Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 12:40am
post #1 of 11

Tonight is the first time I have ever made and tasted Chocolate MMF!!!! I really wasn't expecting much since I HATE the taste of Wilton!!! WOW! I love it, I could eat it and eat it and eat it!
Now the reason I made it is my brother wants to help my business by giving one of my cakes to his work and that should land me their account! ( Apparently they order like 2 large cakes a month for various things.) Any ways, he says to help me "seal the deal" I should do a carved cake... not just any carved cake he wants me to make the most expensive shoe they sell. So I figured MMF was probably the best way to achieve this. Now I'm basically doing this for just the cost of supplies, but if I do land the account how much would ya all suggest charging for this?
Here is the website for the shoe, if you click rotate you can see the details better....http://www.florsheim.com/shop-fl/shoes/imperial/kenmoor/prod17109.html

TIA!

10 replies
shellzey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellzey Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 1:02am
post #2 of 11

great looking shoe. make sure you post how it turned out. i'm not one to ask about pricing.

good luck =) hope you get the account

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 1:09am
post #3 of 11

It should be great. Your price would depend on the size (the number of servings) you intend it to feed. Are you making both shoes?

eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 1:18am
post #4 of 11

most of the time when i make a cake design for the first time (carved or something unique), i always tend to undercut myself, not knowing what is involved.
Unless you have to give a price right now, i would suggest making the cake, seeing what is involved, and then deciding what price range you want to be in.
you never know what might be involved, it might be tougher or easier than you thought. or it may require more ingredients, or you may figure out a faster or easier way to do it after you've done it once.

tcbalgord Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 11:19am
post #5 of 11

Thank you for the advice! I only plan on doing one shoe and I know it won't feed alot of ppl (maybe 20 if I'm lucky) but if I get the account then I'd be placing on a sheet cake or something.
Again, thank you for the advice!!!!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 11:42am
post #6 of 11

Good luck! Let us know what happens and, of course, don't forget to post a photo of the shoe.

tcbalgord Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 5:24pm
post #7 of 11

It may be a curse to try something new on a monday....When i went to carve the cake this morning (all nice and frozen) I couldn't do it! I had my template and everything and I am just starring at the cake not knowing where to begin or even visualize how this is going to be a shoe. ( to be honest it looks like a bed! lmao)
Then I thought maybe i should just mold the shoe from the chocolate mmf...I powered my surface and rolling pin; took out the mmf and when I began to roll it all crumbled. I tried to knead it back, added some more crisco and still not working. What have I done wrong? icon_cry.gif

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 5:42pm
post #8 of 11

Remember cakes never look pretty until they're covered and closer to finished. I always get frustrated with the look until I can see it.

How are you molding it from MMF? I thought you were covering the cake with MMF?

jelmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jelmom Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 5:43pm
post #9 of 11

Warm it in the microwave and try again. Just a little, not enough to melt it. You just want to soften it up.

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 5:45pm
post #10 of 11

Try microwaving your MMF for 10 - 15 seconds. This will soften it up and make it pliable again.

tcbalgord Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 6:13pm
post #11 of 11

You guys are the best, the mmf came back to life!!! I will say carving looks easier then it is and for all of you that do it I commend you! After walking away and telling myself DH will be happy to have cake tonight, I sat here and realized I didn't build the toe of the shoe!!! icon_surprised.gif While I'm still not convinced this will turn out very good, I'm going to cover it later tonight! Thank you all

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%