Cake Balls

Baking By rachelsmom01 Updated 3 Oct 2008 , 5:25pm by jadex77x

rachelsmom01 Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 11:34pm
post #1 of 4

I am sorry to bother all of you wonderful experts but I have a question....what is a cake ball? icon_redface.gif I have read many forum discussions about cake balls but I have never heard of such a thing here in my area? If you could enlighten me I would be so grateful. Thanks!

3 replies
cakemommync Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 2:42am
post #2 of 4

I had never heard of them either until I got to this site. Basically, they are like truffles made with cake instead of ganache. you will find a thousand different ways but I have found the best way to do it is to mush up your cake really fine then add a good glob of buttercream or whatever icing you have available(that being the technical term! HA) depending on how much cake you have. Enough to make it like a paste. You can also add flavored coffee creamers (white russian and sweet italian cream are my favs so far) or liquers to spice things up. then make them into small balls and stick them in the freezer for a while. I have left them in for 15 minutes or for days depending on what I'm doing...(in a container of course if its going to be longer) and then dip them in candy melts, or if you're really picky, tempered chocolate (but who has time to temper their own chocolate!). I have also brushed candy molds with a layer of chocolate and pushed the cake balls into the molds and covered the tops to make them prettier. Right now in my freezer, I have carrot cake with white choc, strawberry cake with dark choc and choc fudge cake with dark choc.
There is also a thing on here about how to make them in the articles section. I say just play with it till you have what you like. Who knew you didn't have to throw away all those cake scraps?!

Happy cake balling! (or creating your own cake truffle master pieces!)[/i]

rachelsmom01 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 2:55pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks, cakemommync. Mystery solved -- another yummy way to eat cake -- life is good, isn't it? Jennifer

jadex77x Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 5:25pm
post #4 of 4

cakemommy, using the molds is an awsome idea!!!!!! i love that idea! i wouldve never thought of something like that. im gonna have to try that out next time i make cake balls for my nephews. KUDOS to u for a great idea. oh rachelsmom... i belive i saw right on the home page of this site if u scroll down the page tere are little "tutorial" with pictures that show how to make cake balls. thats how i learned about them. i <3 cake balls they are sooooo yummy .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%