What Happened To My Imbc?

Decorating By thebrassybaker Updated 28 Sep 2008 , 6:06pm by thebrassybaker

thebrassybaker Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 5:32pm
post #1 of 4

Ok made it, now it looks grainy/lumpy. WHat did I do wrong? I don't have a stand mixer, so beat eggs to stiff by hand. Can it be saved? That's ALOT of butter if not! going to go cry now!

3 replies
PinkZiab Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 4

Did you use a hand mixer, or did it totally by hand? It can be done with a hand mixer, but you need to keep beating the hell out of it to get it smooth.

pastrylady Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 6:06pm
post #3 of 4

Was the meringue grainy before you added the butter? If so, you may have over-whipped the egg whites. If that's the case, you'll have to start over. The egg whites should be firm, but not stiff, before you add the sugar and the syrup.

If you didn't overwhip the whites, you probably have a temperature problem. If it's soupy, lumpy grainy, the meringue was too warm when you added the butter. In that case stick it in the refrig for a while and try re-whipping it.

If it's kind of stiff, lumpy, grainy, the butter may have been too cold when you added it. In that case try to warm the buttercream a little while you whip it. I use a propane torch on the outside of the bowl (very carefully, moving constantly). You can also wrap the bowl in a towel soaked with hot water.

thebrassybaker Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 6:06pm
post #4 of 4

I beat it with a hand mixer, uughh it looks soo gross

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%