What To Do!

Decorating By lildeby Updated 28 Sep 2008 , 4:03pm by CIndymm4

lildeby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lildeby Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 4

Can you Freeze Fondent after it is on the cake?.....plz Reaspond soon! icon_sad.gif

3 replies
terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 4

I did it once and it was a disaster of epic porportions. When it thawed it was sticky and ultimately slid off the cake.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 4:02pm
post #3 of 4

I did, once. It worked fine, surprisingly enough.

A mom called the day before the party and said half the kids had chicken pox and they'd postponed the party. The cake was almost fully decorated at this time. She asked if I could freeze the cake and I said I wasn't sure, so I tried it.

I wrapped the cake in several layers of plastic wrap and put it in the freezer. I thawed it for a full day in the fridge (I have a dry fridge.... that maybe made a difference), wrapped. It turned out fine.

They said they couldn't even taste the difference.

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 4:03pm
post #4 of 4

I wasn't sure but I went to Baking 411 and this is what they said -

You can freeze a Fondant covered cake especially if you want it to keep for long term storage for up to 2 months. However, if it contains creams, custards or other perishable fillings, you can't. If the cake is frozen and it then thaws, do so in its wrappings. That's so condensation will adhere to the wrappers, not the Fondant. But, again make us of an air conditioned room to thaw it in.

However, I have heard that certain brands of Fondant may freeze and thaw better than others. I, however, not knowing whether or not the brand I used was optimal for freezing, froze the top layer of my Fondant-covered wedding cake for a year (I wouldn't do it for a cake that I was going to use for a wedding or event). However, I made sure that the cake remained covered in its wrappers (2 layers of plastic wrap) and then foil, and was placed at the cool side of room temperature to thaw. This is the best case scenario and the cake thawed nicely, but it didn't look as nice as when it was freshly made -- probably because it was a year old.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%