Question About Toba's Glace

Baking By giraffe11 Updated 1 Oct 2008 , 6:04am by shiney

giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 8:06am
post #1 of 28

I tried the NFSC and Toba's Glace recipes for the first time tonight. They taste great, but I am wondering about the finish of the glaze..... it seems kind of "grainy", even though the cookies are pretty. (You can see them in my pix....acorns and leaves.) I was hoping for a smoother looking finish. I know I used it a little too runny for my acorns, but I don't think that would've given it the "grainy" look. Any ideas?
Thanks, Heather

27 replies
Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 8:41am
post #2 of 28

I am completely stumped by this one. You did use powdered sugar, yes? I don't mean for that to be an insulting question; I just don't know where the graininess would come in. Did you mix the sugar with the milk first? That's important. Did you add any white gel? Hmmm. Maybe someone else will have some ideas.

giraffe11 Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 1:33pm
post #3 of 28

Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I did use powdered sugar....lol.
Actually, after another several hours drying, several of the cookies have started to bloom.
I can't really guess what could have gone wrong. Maybe it's too humid??? It is pretty sticky here lately, but usually that just makes them take longer to dry.
Maybe I'll be going back to RI.
Heather

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 6:15pm
post #4 of 28

Heather, I found that I much prefer TG with the Wilton white-white. Makes all the colors better, without it they seemed a bit transparent. I never used it in RI though. But your cookies are beautiful

Honeydukes Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 10:25pm
post #5 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiney

... But your cookies are beautiful

I forgot to tell you that your cookies were very pretty. icon_redface.gif I loved the vibrant colors of your leaves.

Humidity does funny things and can really ruin a pretty cookie. In the King Arthur Flour Cookie Book, it says that too much milk will cause a glaze to spot. I'm not sure though if that would cause any graininess.

Don't be discouraged. I just love her icing -- I am a complete wreck at covering cookies with royal. icon_lol.gif

shiney Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 12:42am
post #6 of 28

Honey, (If I may be so bold to call you that icon_smile.gif ) Can you do TG without milk and use water instead? I saw somewhere someone put to refrig for two weeks with milk, three weeks w/o milk.

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 1:10am
post #7 of 28

Did you use cane powdered sugar. It is a little more expensive, but I have noticed when I use beet powdered sugar it is a bit grainy. Just a possibility! They look great though. I love Toba's icing also. I wonder also how it holds up comparitively to royal icing. I am going to try fondant next time. It seems like it would be easier and less messy.

shiney Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 1:28am
post #8 of 28

Auntiecake, have you tried RBC? I've tried it a couple of times and LOVED it. I've tried to work with fondant a couple of times, just can't get the hang of it

auntiecake Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 3:57am
post #9 of 28

Do you mean RBC rolled buttercream. I am not up on all the abbreviations on cc.

shiney Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 4:01am
post #10 of 28

yep, rolled buttercream

auntiecake Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 4:06am
post #11 of 28

No, I haven't tried it yet. Does it taste like buttercream. It is on my list of things to try, just haven't done it. If it tastes like buttercream it would be great on cookies! Have you tried it. I think it would be easier to use on cookies than cakes. What is your opinion of it??? I think royal is to hard and not much flavor. I haven't tried antonios yet either. Hopefully tomorrow I will get some of that done.

shiney Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 4:25am
post #12 of 28

yes, it tastes like buttercream, and great on cookies. Just roll it thin, then put it in the freezer for a bit before or after cutting with cookie cutter, and it's easier to work with. Some say they put it on a hot cookie to stick, but I dab corn syrup as glue, and you can decorate on top with RI or TG immediately. You can pinch off some and color it, just kneed it until color is uniform. If you want to see, I have heart cookies and pregnant dress and shirt cookies I used RBC.

Honeydukes Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 7:06am
post #13 of 28
Quote:

Honey, (If I may be so bold to call you that icon_smile.gif ) Can you do TG without milk and use water instead? I saw somewhere someone put to refrig for two weeks with milk, three weeks w/o milk.

You may, dear lady!! Yes, water is just fine and it will a bit last longer. (I posted that info -- it's from her book.) I use whole milk in mine. I've had great success with it and only change when I make vegan cookies.

Interesting thought about the beet sugar, auntiecake. And please look here. Someone posted this link just the other day. It defines all those silly letter combos!
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926.html

giraffe11 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 12:20pm
post #14 of 28

Honeydukes......Do you notice a big difference in the glace between when you use whole milk and water?
Heather

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 5:37pm
post #15 of 28

I regularly use skim milk in the icing, and have occasionally used 2%. The only time I used water, I had a problem with the colors running. Maybe it had nothing whatsoever to do with it, but I now just stick with the skim milk!

Honeydukes Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 6:04pm
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by prpllead

Honeydukes......Do you notice a big difference in the glace between when you use whole milk and water?
Heather

I do; it doesn't seem to have the same "elasticity." I'm just so used to working with the whole milk version. It felt much thinner, but it did seem to dry a bit faster. It might be just me -- but it works, so I ain't fixin' it!. icon_biggrin.gif I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I've NEVER had color bleeding or spots of any kind. Knock on wood!

I wish I was better with flooding royal -- I'd like to have that as an option. I've used TG with Gingerbread and while I LOVE it, it doesn't have that traditional GB taste. I have yet to try Antonia's.

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 6:42pm
post #17 of 28

Shiney
Did you try Rhondas Ultimate MMF? Thats what I use and its very easy. Just like rolling out a pie crust. I do a terrible job with RI. Maybe with practice it would be better cause I love the look of the cookies flooded. But MMF is just so easy

shiney Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 12:40am
post #18 of 28

Toolshed, I haven't tried MMF, The thought of preparing it didn't appeal to me. I've actually forgotten which thread has been discussing RBC, but I do like that.

auntiecake Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 5:33am
post #19 of 28

Thank you Shiney! I am going to try the RBC. Have you ever tried pearl fondant?

Honeydukes thanks for the list. I have seen it before,b ut don't remember all of them. Aged brain!

Honeydukes Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 8:49am
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntiecake

... Have you ever tried pearl fondant?
Honeydukes thanks for the list. ...

My pleasure.

I know of pearls made from fondant. Now, please what is pearl fondant? icon_confused.gif

Tlloyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tlloyd Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 9:41am
post #21 of 28

BTW - Does anyone know how long this glaze will keep in the fridge using milk in the receipe??

Honeydukes Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 11:19am
post #22 of 28

According to her book, up to 2 weeks with milk and 3 without.

shiney Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 5:22pm
post #23 of 28

[quote="auntiecake"]Thank you Shiney! I am going to try the RBC. Have you ever tried pearl fondant?

So, what is this pearl fondant you speak of....lol
I did receive my sugarveil today, can't wait to try it. I'll post picture, I have visions of fringe on motorcycle leathers....we'll see how it turns out!

Honeydukes Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 7:18pm
post #24 of 28
Quote:

[ ... I did receive my sugarveil today, can't wait to try it. I'll post picture, I have visions of fringe on motorcycle leathers....we'll see how it turns out!

Shiney, did you get the entire SV system or just the mix?

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 8:47pm
post #25 of 28

hey shiney
is the RBC recipe on CC?

shiney Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 11:25pm
post #26 of 28

Toleshed, I got the RBC recipe from someone on here, but don't have it in front of me. I'll check and see if it's on CC.
Honey ( I love that, that's what the grandkids call my mom) I got the special they had, dvd, mix and comb. I watched the vid, it looks dead easy. Well, I usually speak too soon. I'll check back in!

auntiecake Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 3:06am
post #27 of 28

Pearl fondant is from Jennifer Dontz video- combination of sugar clay and fondant.

shiney Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 6:04am
post #28 of 28

Toleshed, here's the link (hope it works) for RBC. I omitted the two flavoring oils, used clear vanilla and almond extract, you can use whatever flavoring you want. I put mine in ziplock bag for a bit, then kneeded in more PS because it was a bit greasy. The more you work with it with your hands the softer it gets. I roll it out thin and stick it in the freezer for a bit, then cut with cookie cutter, then I actually roll it a bit more,evenly, so it will fit the cookie better, because the baked cookie is larger than the cookie cutter. Dot some corn syrup onto cookie and place RBC.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1603-0-Rolled-Buttercream-Fondant-Alternative.html

Gave the sugarveil a try tonight, kinda cool, but I halved ingredients, because it's so dear and was just doing a little bit. But the consistency wasn't good for squeezing out of bottle for writing.(Bummer). But I did get fringe-ish on my cookie. Will post pic when cookie is complete

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%