Something To Make You Go Hmmm. Slice & Bake Cupcakes!

Baking By andpotts Updated 28 Sep 2008 , 8:04pm by FromScratch

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 7:27am
post #1 of 19

That's right, sice and bake cupcakes. Bakerella recently did a blog about these and I though some of you would find it interesting.
This just awes me, maybe this is how people felt when S&B cookies came out, but seriously, these make me scratch my head.

Here's a link to her experiment with these things
http://bakerella.blogspot.com/2008/09/slice-n-bake-cookies-cupcakes.html
LL

18 replies
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 7:58am
post #2 of 19

OMG! I wanna buy one of those just to try.

cuteums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuteums Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 8:03am
post #3 of 19

They definitely made me scratch my head. Her pictures looked fabulous. Way better than expected for slice and bake cupcakes. I am totally intrigued. Is Kroger's the only ones who make them or are there other brands? I probably live more than a few hundred miles from the nearest Kroger's store but I would love to experiment with them.

Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 11:31am
post #4 of 19

Well I'm like her. The frosting just looks Yuk and I just can't see me buying these when you can make them yourself like you want and it only takes a few minutes. Come on now. icon_surprised.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 11:50am
post #5 of 19

i wish she'd say how they tasted like. icon_smile.gif

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 12:03pm
post #6 of 19

Well you know how hard it is to add a couple of eggs, some water, and some oil to a cake mix.

Really I guess the best thing about it is that it only makes 6! I guess it could be kind of fun to do with the kids when you don't want 24 cupcakes sitting around.

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 5:44pm
post #7 of 19

I saw these at my grocery store the other day. I believe they are either $2.50 or $2.99 something like that. Plus it only makes 6 cupcakes. I think it's a bit much for me. I could buy a cake mix and a can of frosting for about that price. Or if I wanted to be really lazy, just buy 6 cupcakes from the store bakery. I wouldn't buy it personally.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 6:00pm
post #8 of 19

I recently saw slice and bake muffins at my local grocery store. They come in a tube like the pillsbury cookie dough in 3 or 4 different flavors... I just don't see the point. Then again I don't even bake from mixes so this is REALLY foreign to me! lol

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 6:02pm
post #9 of 19

not wasting my money, ewww

amazing what is thought up these days icon_smile.gif

mw902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mw902 Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 6:07pm
post #10 of 19

Kroger also has a kit in the cake mix aisle that has a confetti cake mix, and edible images in it! I thought that was kinda cool, they have princesses, sports and robots of some sort! Not sure if there is the wonderful squeeze tube icing or not though!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 6:10pm
post #11 of 19

Good gawd I thought I was seeing things when I read "slice n bake cupcakes." I guess I don't need new glasses after all! icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif

born2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
born2bake Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 6:24pm
post #12 of 19

I've read some posts here where people have frozen cake batter, thawed it at a later date and bake it with great results. I wonder if this is along the same idea. Personally I love to bake and do as much from scratch as possible so I wouldn't even entertain the idea of buying this product. I think companies are trying to make their products so user friendly and quick for families with two working parents and kids on the go that we're getting away from the fun and true art of baking.

Just my two cents.

B2B

Lynnzee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynnzee Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 6:30pm
post #13 of 19

who does not have the 2 minutes it takes to mix a batter from a box. This just seems more trouble than its worth to me???

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 6:36pm
post #14 of 19

She says at the very end that she wanted them to bomb badly but that they weren't 1/2 bad. The frosting left something to be desired it seems, but they were light and fluffy..

These are definitely a no for me, but I can see how it could be fun for the kids.

zoomitoons Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomitoons Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 6:57pm
post #15 of 19

I have always frozen my extra cake mixes and used them for a quick, easy snack. I freeze in plastic cups that are just the right size for cupcakes, pop them out and toss in a freezer bag. When I only need a few cupcakes for a snack for day care kids I pop 3-4 in the toaster oven. I usually have icing left from weddings on the weekends so it's homemade and the kids love them. It makes it nice too to have a mix of chocolate and vanilla flavors since every kid wants a different flavor lol

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 6:58pm
post #16 of 19

This might be fun for a kid. I wouldn't buy them either. Right now I a mix baker but I'm trying to become a scratch baker. I never liked canned icing so the thought of frozen canned icing just repulses me. And as far as the batter, at least with a box cake you can doctor it. No thanks!

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 7:08pm
post #17 of 19

I bake from scratch also..but I am curious how they taste..hmmm..I wonder if they are good.

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 7:18pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomitoons

I have always frozen my extra cake mixes and used them for a quick, easy snack. I freeze in plastic cups that are just the right size for cupcakes, pop them out and toss in a freezer bag. When I only need a few cupcakes for a snack for day care kids I pop 3-4 in the toaster oven.

That is a very cool idea...I'm going to have to try this.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 8:04pm
post #19 of 19

Ooooh.. I'm going to try the frozen extra cake batter too. If it bakes up nice this is such a great idea. Thanks for sharing!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%