Fondant And Buttercream

Decorating By nopleazn Updated 28 Sep 2008 , 8:39pm by mamacc

nopleazn Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 4:37am
post #1 of 6

Hello everyone, just wanted to ask a few questions.. I was wondering if a lot of people use Wilton's fondant or make there own? And all so do you make your own buttercream icing or buy it? Sorry for the dumb questions icon_redface.gif

5 replies
ccarroca Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 6:51am
post #2 of 6

Absolutely make my own buttercream. There are great recipes on this site. The fondant one, well mostly everyone will say that yeah, wilton is convenient to use in a pinch, but I think it tastes awful. Most people buy another mix that you can get from global sugar art ....satin ice or choco pan..there are others, while other people make their own marshmallow fondant (mmf). Look on youtube for visual directions or here for recipes.

JenniferMI Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 1:11pm
post #3 of 6

I make my own icing and make my own semi-homemade chocolate fondant. I do think it's really important to put GOOD tasting products on your cake. Most want their cake to taste as good as it looks.

Jen icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 3:01pm
post #4 of 6

I think there is nearly universal agreement that Wilton fondant is the worst tasting stuff on the market. I consider is only appropriate for use on dummy cakes.

Other than that I make everythig from scratch, except fondant. I buy Satin Ice.

Malakin Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 6:31pm
post #5 of 6

I make both of mine.

mamacc Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 8:39pm
post #6 of 6

I make my own buttercream and buy satin ice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%