Ossas...what Was Your Experience? Mine...disappointing

Decorating By shellzey Updated 2 Oct 2008 , 1:53am by TJCanadian

shellzey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellzey Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 4:03am
post #1 of 26

i was so excited to go to OSSAS this year. i'm new to cakes so this was the first i'd heard of it. i live in oklahoma city. i went with my husband and two little ones (3 & 1 1/2). i was supposed to be going by myself while my husband visited with friends. well they all ended up coming to the fair and i had to help chase kids. my little one ended up sick and we had to leave early.

i don't know what i was expecting but i guess i expected it to be more grand. maybe it was because it was at the fair or that it was bumper to bumper people. i wish it could be done at a big conference center or hotel. was hard to take time and really take in the details. does anyone else feel this way?

i tried to watch the demonstrations but it was standing room only and they had 4 small TVS to show the detail of the demonstrators. the camera people too seemed to get a lot of shots of the back of peoples heads too LOL

i guess my background in hosting large conferences and events made me knit pick a little.

i do wish i could have spent more time there though. some of the cakes were so fabulous.

25 replies
moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 4:16am
post #2 of 26

This competition is really a great way to discover new ideas. I tell everyone to spend the weekend seeing and taking everything in. There were fresh ideas and ones that have been revisited. I have blast every year I have gone. icon_smile.gif

shellzey Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 4:35am
post #3 of 26

i wish i could have stayed all weekend. *sniff sniff*
my poor little girl threw up 4 times on the way home. i hope she sleeps through the night.

please don't misunderstand me. i thought the event was fabulous. just thought the environment could be better =)

moydear77 Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 4:41am
post #4 of 26

I hope your daughter feels better! Today was incredibly crowded. The most I have ver seen! We were at dinner tonight and were talking about it! Keep in mind that the Sugar show used to fall the second week of the fair. So, it is the opening weekend still!

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 3:17am
post #5 of 26

I actually really enjoyed this. It was my first time. I did go by myself. To the disappointment of my kids (and mine are older). You could get in the hall about 9 am, so I took that time to save a seat and then took pictures of the cakes, before it got crowded. It was a long day, and I had to cut out early on James Rosselle, but really did find it worth going. Wish there had been more vendors.

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 3:42am
post #6 of 26

Moy your cake was gorgeous! Do you mind if I post it here in this post?

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 5:02am
post #7 of 26

We had a great time! I won 3rd in my category--which I was so excited about because I have never entered before.

Kerry signed my ribbon and called me "love". I saw a cherry picker ruin two cakes by dropping a metal stick from the ceiling while they were trying to hang a banner and then Kerry yelled at them.

I loved watching the classes and I got to touch one of the gumpaste decor's for Miley Sirus b-day cake.

I am exhausted but it was AWESOME!!!

Shelly--next year we need to leave all our kids at home and go together! Hope your baby girl is feeling better. icon_wink.gif

iamlis Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 5:05am
post #8 of 26

Who made Miley Cyrus' birthday cake? Dawn & Mirena? I am in a class with them tomorrow and Tuesday, but never got to watch them live demo at all this weekend.

justfrosting Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 5:08am
post #9 of 26

They are actually doing a competition nest week for her b-day cake, but they had some of the gumpaste elements finished and passed them around.

Have fun in their class. They seemed so nice--they signed my ribbon too!!

iamlis Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 5:11am
post #10 of 26

Awesome! Congrats on your ribbons! I entered the groom's tasting competition, but me and my son got really sick on Thursday, I couldn't risk making the cake and getting anyone sick! I was so sick, I am on meds but didn't even leave home till this morning, I planned on leaving on Friday! LOL!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 5:28am
post #11 of 26

Congrats Moydear! I literally just walked through the door from my 4 hour drive home. You did awesome! I also think you were one of my judges, lol.

sylly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sylly Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 5:51am
post #12 of 26

congrats to everyone who entered and placed- this was my first year and I loved it!! I placed first for all 3 entries I had and I was just overwhelmed by the amount of talent and personality at the show. I wish I would have thought to have Kerry sign my ribbons. Still, just talking to her for a while was awesome. icon_smile.gif

moydear77 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 7:21am
post #13 of 26

Thank you so much for the kind words! I am still on cloud nine right now! Being picked for Modern Bride is a chance in a lifetime!

Glad to have judged so many beautiful cakes!

justfrosting Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 12:23pm
post #14 of 26

I also wanted to say how much fun it was meeting so many cakers. Everyone was so nice!!!

(Except for the parking people, they were a little cranky.)

Next year I am definately wearing a Cake Central shirt.

tonicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonicake Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 12:46pm
post #15 of 26

This was my first year going as well. I took my mother. I met and spoke with my "Cake Hero"! Mirena! That was the high light of my experience. Wish I was taking her class, but it filled so quickly.

I too, felt there should have been more vendors. Over all, I'm glad I went and I'll definately go next year - I may even enter a cake.

shellzey Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 1:27pm
post #16 of 26

it would be great if you guys would post the cakes you entered so we can know which ones were yours.

i will definitely go next year and DEFINITELY leave the husband and kids at home lol it would be neat if we could plan to meet up. until then, if any of you are in the okc area feel free to look me up =)

justfrosting Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 6:59pm
post #17 of 26

I followed Mirena over to the vendors and bought almost everything she did.

That's not stalking is it?

moydear77 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 3:56am
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

Congrats Moydear! I literally just walked through the door from my 4 hour drive home. You did awesome! I also think you were one of my judges, lol.

Which cake was yours?

kdscalling Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdscalling Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 2:42pm
post #19 of 26

Sylly, your entries were wonderful! Congratulations on winning.

sylly Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 3:02am
post #20 of 26

thank you so much!!!

justme50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme50 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 3:11am
post #21 of 26

I went to the show on Saturday and while it was wall to wall people, I had a great time!

If there had been any more vendors, I would've been bankrupt! As it is, I spent way more than I should have on tons of fondariffic. Their prices were much lower than online and for once I didn't have to pay shipping!

Sylly, your diner cake was amazing!

And I loved the winning cake...I had it picked as my favorite and was thrilled to see it win. It was an amazing cake.

sylly Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 12:32pm
post #22 of 26

There were so many awesome cakes and the amount of talent was overwhelming. I can't wait for next year to roll around already!
Like you, justme50, I'm going to have to get a second job just to be able to play a little more while I am there! icon_smile.gif

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 1:24am
post #23 of 26

Seriously, please post your cake pictures here so we can see them. I've seen Sylly's and they were AMAZING! I'm dying to see Moy's . Please Please post them here!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 1:36am
post #24 of 26

You guys are SOOO lucky, I wish I lived closer!!!!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 1:49am
post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by moydear77

Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

Which cake was yours?

It was the purple and blue one with the mermaid on it.

TJCanadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJCanadian Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 1:53am
post #26 of 26

I made it on sunday and it was so busy, I didn't have a lot of time, left sick kiddos with my sister in OK city. (we always seem to get them sick when we drive from CO to OK...) But I can't wait to look over my pictures of all of your beautiful cakes. A LOT of inspiriation and ideas and hopefully the confidence to enter next year. I was wishing there was a way to pick out CC members

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%