Dulce De Leite --Any One Ever Work With This Filling?

Baking By dolcebaci Updated 6 Oct 2008 , 3:31pm by jobueno

dolcebaci Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 3:00am
post #1 of 4

Hi there

I was asked to do a cake and use dulce de leite filling

I googled it online and found the receipe, however I am just wondering if anyone has ever filled a cake with this and how it stands up?

After reading up on it, sounds more like a "runny" filling so I am too sure how well it would work with a white cake?

Any feedback on this would be great! Tank

3 replies
FromScratch Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 3:10am
post #2 of 4

Are you talking about the argentinian milk caramel dulce de leche? It's actually quite thick when done right and would hold up in a cake fine but be extremely rich. It can be a a pain to make too. I find that dulce de leche (or any caramel) is best done in a mousse form or as a flavored buttercream, but it can be put right in the cake. If you are planning on chilling the cake at all make sure you allow it to come to full room temp before cutting it as the caramel will get hard when it's cold. icon_smile.gif

eriksmom Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 3:14am
post #3 of 4

I used it once in a chocolate cake. but i cheated, i used carnation or nestle dulce de leche in a can. it seemed to work fine, but my friend said i didn't use enough for his liking. but no problems reported. although i did keep the cake refrigerated before it was picked up.

jobueno Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 3:31pm
post #4 of 4

Hi dolcebachi:
dulce de Leche can be made to different consistencies. You can leave it almost pasty, pasty or caramel consistency. Depending on which one you use is how it will hold up. I have filled cakes with this delicious candy in almost paste form. It holds up just like stiff buttercream icon_razz.gif hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%