Who Uses A Pasta Machine To Roll Fondant?

Decorating By JodieF Updated 28 Sep 2008 , 1:38am by turtle3264

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 11:36pm
post #1 of 7

My DH wants to buy me a pasta machine or the pasta roller attachment for my KA to make fondant ribbons and bows easier and nicer. Who am I to argue with a man who wants to get me a cake toy????

Does anyone use either and what do you see as the pros and cons??? I would appreciate any input.

TIA

Jodie icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 12:32am
post #2 of 7

I just got one but I haven't used it so I'm no help. But there was a thread a couple of days ago about the same thing and those who have them love them.

MaxTRexmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaxTRexmom Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 12:50am
post #3 of 7

I have and it's great for ribbons. Much easier than rolling them out by hand. I use MMF though so I have to be careful and keep adding powdered sugar so it doesnt get too sticky.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 12:59am
post #4 of 7

I use mine for gumpaste and its saved my shoulders and hands. I use crisco on the roller, roll it through once, then put more crisco on the gumpaste itself before thinning it out on the smaller settings.

Fondant works okay, but it tends to stick more, so you have to be careful to keep the roller clean. If you get a piece stuck on the roller it will grab onto the fondant/gumpaste that you roll through after that, and ruin your sheet. That's why I grease it up after the first go-through, it seems to keep the roller from sticking to it.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 1:24am
post #5 of 7

Thanks for your replies. I thought my searching skills were pretty good but I must not have searched the forums with the right key words.

At first thought the KA attachment seemed appealing because it would leave both hands free........

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 1:29am
post #6 of 7

I couldn't LIVE without my pasta machine! I use it for fondant and gumpaste all the time.

If you get one that stands alone, you MUST get the motor attachment, otherwise, don't bother! icon_biggrin.gif

turtle3264 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turtle3264 Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 1:38am
post #7 of 7

I have the one from Hobby Lobby that is used for clay. I feel like I need another hand when I use it. I am looking into getting the pasta roller for my KA. I'm just waiting for a good deal. I think that either one makes it more unified than rolling by hand. I can never get it even that way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%