Need Help With Elephant Cake For My Dad

Decorating By punkyf Updated 13 Oct 2008 , 4:01am by just_for_fun

punkyf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkyf Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 7:31pm
post #1 of 10

Before my Dad started having health problems, his hobby was working with wood in an art form called Intarsia. This is one of my favorite pictures that he did for me and I want to make it into a cake for his 85th Birthday. I'm not too good with fondant, I'm a buttercream person, but I figure fondant may be the way to go. Any ideas out there on how to make a cake to look like this? I think I will use a 9 x 13 pan but what next? Not sure I will be able to pull this one off.

Thanks
Punkyf
LL

9 replies
Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 11:52pm
post #2 of 10

Sorry can't see your picture.

Judi

punkyf Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 12:24am
post #3 of 10

For some reason, I can see the picture. Not sure why it isn't showing up. I looked on my laptop and it wasn't there but it is on my other computer. Not sure what I should do. I really want to make this cake but I'm not sure where to start.

punkyf Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 1:02am
post #4 of 10

I'll try the attachment again.
LL

punkyf Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 1:09am
post #5 of 10

Ok, I give up. I think this means I need to think of something else to do for my Dad's B-day. I've tried to attach this picture twice and it isn't working.

Thanks,
Punkyf

feliciangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
feliciangel Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 1:14am
post #6 of 10

wow that elephant plaque is beautiful, Could you try doing it in chocolate, maybe make some kind of mold out of it....here is a bump

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 1:33am
post #7 of 10

Can't see the pic either. Having some experience with intarsia. Do you have the plaque? If you do you can make patterns of the pieces. This might even be a better approach. Take the pic blow it up to the size you want. You cam make different colored fondant pieces to match the wooden pieces. Cut your fondant pieces a hair bigger. This way you can get a good matching seam for the adjoining piece. PM me if you have any more Qs, I would love to see the pic.

Mike

punkyf Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 3:41am
post #8 of 10

Here is what I came up with for the Elephant cake. Hope the picture can be seen this time. My Dad loved the cake. Thanks Mike for the ideas.
LL

punkyf Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 3:55am
post #9 of 10

If you can't see the picture, click on photos and it is in my photos. I previewed before I submitted but when I looked again I couldn't see the picture.

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 4:01am
post #10 of 10

I couldn't see the first 2 pictures, but I can see the one with the cake. It is awesome!! Wow!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%