Do Stacked Cakes Always Have To Be....

Decorating By Jasmine33 Updated 27 Sep 2008 , 9:40pm by FromScratch

Jasmine33 Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 4:40pm
post #1 of 8

...2 layers for each tier? Is that what people expect? Does it look funny if you only have 1 layer? TIA

7 replies
renee2007 Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 4:57pm
post #2 of 8

no. if you look at the blue and brown cake in my photos, the middle layer is only one layer. the others are 2. hth icon_smile.gif

akgirl10 Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 5:54pm
post #3 of 8

I guess it depends on the look you are going for. If you want a four inch layer, then I would suggest at least torting it, that's a lot of cake without filling.

Jasmine33 Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 7:21pm
post #4 of 8

Thanx Renee I will look at the pics. Okay I looked. That is cute. But the middle layer does look small. All of them that way may look strange. Maybe I would be better off suggesting a double layered 8" and a double layered 10". ( I will need to look up how much exactly that serves.)

akgirl10

I

Quote:
Quote:

guess it depends on the look you are going for. If you want a four inch layer, then I would suggest at least torting it, that's a lot of cake without filling.

I am a newb to alot of this. haha

No, I was definately planning on filling. I did a cake last weekend for us, that was a 12" chocolate cake, 1 layer, torted, filled and topped with cherry pie filling.

I would of course top it with buttercream if we had other cakes to put on top.

So I was looking at the wilton party servings and for a 12", 10", 8" and a 6", 1 layer that would be 50 "party servings". I was just thinking that may be nice for a birthday party where they need 50 pieces but also want a stacked cake. See what I mean?

I was just wondering if that would look strange or not.

I think it may just look very strange. haha

Back to the drawing board. icon_wink.gif

renee2007 Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 7:32pm
post #5 of 8

yeah, I see what you mean. I don't know how it would look if they were all just 1 layer. have you looked in the galleries to see if there is a pic with all 1 layers? it might be hard to find if there is 1 cuz there's sooo many cakes. icon_confused.gif good luck thumbs_up.gif by the way, that cake looks yummy icon_lol.gif

Jasmine33 Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 8:54pm
post #6 of 8

Thanx Renee. If you like that one you may like my choc. strawberry cake iced & filled in heavy whipping cream...

[img] http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1257162[/img]

I think I should stick with 2 sizes, I really think the 1 layer may look funny. That cake from last weekend looked big though. lol

feliciangel Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 9:22pm
post #7 of 8

I always make my cake 2 layer but i end up with a very tall cake 4+ inches high, I've made a one layer cake and torted it (the blue one in my pics) and to me it seemed small JMHO.

edited to add: If that strawberries and cream cake is a one layer torted it tall enough and yummy I love strawberries and cream icon_lol.gif

FromScratch Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 9:40pm
post #8 of 8

I think the all single layer (2" tall) tiered cakes look odd. I don't mind shorter tiers mixed in with bigger ones, but all short looks off to me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%