Would Anyone Share Their Contract With Me?

Business By handymama Updated 1 Oct 2008 , 3:58pm by whimsette

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 1:48pm
post #1 of 12

I've spent the last year planning and building my little bakery--started construction in March!--that is attached to the back of our garage. Woven in between the planning/shopping for used equipment/baking cookies for workmen/building myself etc. has been the figuring how to actually do the business! This is a hobby that grew into a passion that grew into an obsession--I know you CC'ers can relate icon_smile.gif I've never been in business before and I'm nervous about pricing as well as presenting myself as a professional. I believe a contract is important both as a way to be professional, and to help both the client and me to know exactly what's expected. At the Orlando ICES convention there was a demo on wedding cake contracts, and I was blown away that this person had exactly, and I mean exactly what I was looking for! Problem is, she skipped over it quickly and without detail and I'm left still not knowing what to do or where to turn. (I asked her if she'd share a copy with me, but she refused--was afraid that if a client ever sued me that I might then sue her!! Oh good grief.) I would have gladly signed a disclaimer or even paid her. My bakery is just now done and will have its final inspection on Monday. I have no orders and no customers, but maybe that's good because I still have no contract. Would you be willing to share yours with me? I wouldn't be copying it exactly (would still have needed to customize the "demo" contract to fit what I do), but would like permission to use as much of it as I could. Or is there some sort of a "fill in the blank" wedding cake contract out there? TIA for any help you can give.

11 replies
handymama Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 3:25pm
post #2 of 12

Anyone?

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 4:19pm
post #3 of 12

PM me your e-mail or pop on my site and send me a contact e-mail and I'll send you mine. icon_smile.gif

Congrats on the new business!! icon_smile.gif

handymama Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 5:55pm
post #4 of 12

Bless your heart! Thank you!!!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 12:21am
post #5 of 12

No problem at all. icon_smile.gif

jadex77x Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadex77x Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 12:54am
post #6 of 12

i can share mine too if you like feel free to email me and ill fwd on to you ... the one i use is one that i modified ALOT to better fit what i do. email me at [email protected]

handymama Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 2:21am
post #7 of 12

Fantastic! Thanks, I'll email you shortly.

dmhart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmhart Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 2:37am
post #8 of 12

I hate to jump on the band wagon, but would anyone mind sending me a copy of their contract as well. I just started up my business well November will be a year, I have just gotten to the point with special occasion cake, shower, etc. I really need a good contract. I haven't had the time to do one myself, really didn't know where to start. I hope I am not stepping on anyones toes, but I could help when I noticed the topic. Thanks Debbie

mndy204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mndy204 Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 3:18am
post #9 of 12

Me too!!! icon_redface.gif I've wondered where to find a contract so if any of you would help me too that would be wonderful!!!

And congratulations on your business!!! thumbs_up.gif

nissi01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nissi01 Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 3:28am
post #10 of 12

would someone be willing to share one with me also? my cousin and i are starting our own business, and are lost as ever. i attended the RBA expo in AC and they had a seminar on this very subject. i dont even know where to start. the panel suggested that we check out a couple of contracts and then contact an attorney to finalize one. luckly i work for a couple of attorneys, but before i go and ask for their help, i would like to get an idea of what i would like to include in a contract and then have them tell me what they think should be included according to our state law and such. after the seminar, my hubby said that i should of gone to law school and then started our business. icon_wink.gif he was equally blown away with all of the things that were included in the contract the presenter showed. there were so many things that i would not have thought of..

jadex77x Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadex77x Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 3:52am
post #11 of 12

handymama i just emailed it to you i hope it helps . anyone else that would like it just throw me an email and ill fwd it on to you. [email protected]

whimsette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whimsette Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 3:58pm
post #12 of 12

Jumping in here to say how important it is to have an attorney draw up a contract specifically for your business. While it's cool to see what's in other businesses' contracts, using a contract written for someone else can be dangerous for your business. For example, what's legal in one city/state may not be legal in yours or the other contract may have erroneous/outdated information.

I paid around $300 a few years ago to have a contract drawn up and it was worth every penny. I know I'm protected and within all of my local laws on everything from payment terms, collections, cancellation, waivers, liability, and beyond.

Best of luck to you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%