Display Cake Questions

Decorating By pinklesley1 Updated 29 Sep 2008 , 2:14pm by cakebaker1957

pinklesley1 Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 2:27am
post #1 of 7

I am making some display cake for a bridal show, and the last time that I made one with RI decorations on it, everyone kept touching them, and they all broke... eventhough i hade DO NoT TOUCH SIGNS...

What can I use that is more resiliant than RI... i am not picky if it is not edible since it is for a display cake...

i was thinking puffy paint... but dont know if it will work on fondant...

HELP please.... anyone....

6 replies
kakeladi Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 3:33am
post #2 of 7

I made almost all of mine w/b'cream. I had little trouble w/people touching them as you mention.
There is a 'fake' icing...called permaice that you could get. I found it hard to use, especially to pipe with. You have to color it w/pastel paint not food colors.

indydebi Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 1:01pm
post #3 of 7

I use my regular BC on dummies. .... it turns as hard as concrete and I actually invite people to touch them. Nothing has ever broken off, even when my likes-to-touch-everything 14 month old grandson comes to the shop! The only thing that failed with age was the M&M's on my M&M cake .... they've actually started to disintegrate! (I gotta tear it down ... I hate to 'coz it's my favorite, but it's time has come!)

loriemoms Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 1:03pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I use my regular BC on dummies. .... it turns as hard as concrete and I actually invite people to touch them. Nothing has ever broken off, even when my likes-to-touch-everything 14 month old grandson comes to the shop! The only thing that failed with age was the M&M's on my M&M cake .... they've actually started to disintegrate! (I gotta tear it down ... I hate to 'coz it's my favorite, but it's time has come!)

I was thinking of using the "practice" icing that they have you make in Wilton courses...(its just crisco and water and sugar) Has anyone tried that? My regular buttercream I think would just melt off the cake!

indydebi Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 1:13pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I was thinking of using the "practice" icing that they have you make in Wilton courses...(its just crisco and water and sugar) Has anyone tried that? My regular buttercream I think would just melt off the cake!

That's pretty much what I use ..... no vanilla, no dream whip...beacause i"m not eating it.

loriemoms Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 2:19pm
post #6 of 7

well cool! I will give that a try...I have tried the Fake stuff and hated it (it smelled terrible too) and spackle and didnt like the air in it...but have been wanting to do a pretty buttercream cake for display..

cakebaker1957 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 2:14pm
post #7 of 7

I used indydebs and it worked great, i put it in the fair and when i went to pick it up someone had broken the brides head off and some of the border came off i was really surprized it wasnt any worse, looked like some one tried to pick it up by the top layer and pulled the wine glass and all off, i was sooo mad, i told them to get workers who knew how to carry cakes. They will probably ban me from entering anymore (:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%