Shiny Fondant

Decorating By CreativeGirl220 Updated 1 Oct 2008 , 1:41am by tracey1970

CreativeGirl220 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeGirl220 Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 1:11am
post #1 of 24

I noticed on some fondant cakes it has a shiny look to it. What are ways to create a shiny effect to fondant?

23 replies
dogluvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogluvr Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 1:40am
post #2 of 24

I have never used it, but they say Satin Ice fondant has a nice shine to it.

kimmybritt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmybritt Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 2:10am
post #3 of 24

MMF seems to be a little shinier (is that spelled right icon_redface.gif ). In my small, small bit of experience Satin Ice isn't usually shiny. Hope this helps.

Cakeyladey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeyladey Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 5:30am
post #4 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeGirl220

I noticed on some fondant cakes it has a shiny look to it. What are ways to create a shiny effect to fondant?

You can use Rolled Butter cream which is very shiny it works almost the same as fondant maybe a lil harder to work with but, taste alot better than fondant... Another option is adding luster dust to the fondant... Just a thought!

peg91170 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg91170 Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 12:31pm
post #5 of 24

I think I once read on here that you can brush a light coat of Vodka over your fondant and when it dries, it'll be shiny. Don't quote me on that though because I have a cold and a bit stuffy in the head. LOL.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 12:48pm
post #6 of 24

Oil or shortening on fondant makes it shine. The vodka cleans it off. P-e-a-r-l d-u-s-t makes it shimmer--gives it a beautiful sheen.

peg91170 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg91170 Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 12:49pm
post #7 of 24

See? I said not to quote me. LOL.

babybelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babybelle Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 3:36pm
post #8 of 24

Brush a little piping gel on it, that will give you a definite shine HTH

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 8:24pm
post #9 of 24

There are different kinds of shiny effects. There is the lustre dust effect which u can get by dusting the covered cake with lustre dust before it dries out so it adheres well or you can paint with a mixture of clear alcohol(vodka preferably) and ur choice of lustre. Alternatively you can airbrush the covered cake with lustre+alcohol.
Also there is the glitter effect that u can get by sprinkling edible glitter on the fondant just before you get to the desired thickness you need to cover the cake so that it adheres well and doesn't get blown off by breeze.
N.B Snowflake(Sugarflair) lustre dust wll give a neutral shine to any colour of fondant so I usually stock up on that!
There is also the glaze effect which you get by either painting or spraying your covered cake with confectioner's glaze. I hope this helps as I'm not too sure which particular shiny effect you need to know about icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

noyhoward Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noyhoward Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 8:35pm
post #10 of 24

On my 2 tiers cake with roses, under my pics I brushed a little lustre dust on it to make it a shine.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 8:36pm
post #11 of 24

Besides Pearl Dust and Luster Dust, to make fondant shiny you can also steam it. Of course, you'd need a hand held clothes steamer for that.

I have seen a spray can of confectioners glaze, but it smells like paint thinner.

And then there's my favorite for a super glossy look: Mix vodka with piping gel. The vodka dries the piping gel so it isn't sticky, and makes it thin enough for easy painting.

noyhoward Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noyhoward Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 8:46pm
post #12 of 24

My roses were steamed first but the rest of my cake were not.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 8:50pm
post #13 of 24

Actually if you have an airbrush or spray bottle, spraying with vodkaor everclear will give it a shine... it doesn't last so it's best to do just before delivery. Also you can use confectioner's glaze or piping gel, although I've never done either as the booze has worked fine for me (and, between you and me, I've always got plenty of booze on hand lol). HOWEVER, NOT a good idea to spray with the vodka or everclear if you have previously painted or airbrushed, as it will sort of act as a solvent and can ruin your paint job. But on colored fondant it works fine.

babybelle Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 8:55pm
post #14 of 24

Does anyone know if Lustre dust should be used on corresponding colours of fondant? Like Pink on Pink? Or can I use pearl dust on say blue? What will the effect be?
Any help would be great

MacsMom Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 9:21pm
post #15 of 24

Yes, use colored dusts on colored fondant for best results. It's hard to several coats to cover the white, and it looks less streaky if you do it on a similar color.

snowqueen93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowqueen93 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 9:27pm
post #16 of 24

I roll it with shortening and it gives it a shiny look.

jigga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jigga Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 9:28pm
post #17 of 24

to give my cakes a shine i do either depending on the result i'm looking for:
airbrush the cake with pearl airbrush color
OR
i take a paper towel and wet it a lil bit then dab it on the cake...
(this makes it super shiny but b careful not to wet the towel too much)

dulzuramagica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dulzuramagica Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 9:32pm
post #18 of 24

icon_cool.gifI normally spray vodka it gives shine and also helps your decorations stick better.You can use any spray bottle that gives a fine mist.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 9:33pm
post #19 of 24

Also take into consideration that some cakes have been chilled and the fondant is "sweating" when the picture is taken... an inadvertent shine --which is why it is not usually recommended that fondant cakes go into the fridge. icon_cool.gif

MacsMom Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 10:13pm
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

Also take into consideration that some cakes have been chilled and the fondant is "sweating" when the picture is taken... an inadvertent shine --which is why it is not usually recommended that fondant cakes go into the fridge. icon_cool.gif

But they do dry. I always put my fondant covered cakes in the fridge and I've never had a problem with it. Just take them out of the fridge with time to dry before delivery (at least 2 hrs).

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 11:06pm
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

This may be true in some instances, but I refrigerate all of my cakes (I only work in fondant) and the only cakes that are shiny are the ones I intend to be that way icon_wink.gif

babybelle Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 12:05am
post #22 of 24

Thank you for the tip!!! birthday.gif

cookieswithdots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieswithdots Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 1:26am
post #23 of 24

I'm pretty new to using fondant, made about 5 cakes. A few months ago, I used the chocolate Satin Ice for a baby shower. It was so hot that day even with the air on, so I did put the cake in the fridge. I was a little nervous the next day but it was just perfect.

Who knows--- seems to be differfent for everyone.

Melissa

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 1:41am
post #24 of 24

I roll out my fondant (Satin Ice) on shortening versus powdered sugar or anything else powdery. I find that if I put the side of the fondant that was rolled on the shortening facing up on the cake, there's a sheen to it. If I want more shine, I use a dust of some colour.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%