Opiion Needed

Decorating By maude Updated 28 Sep 2008 , 1:40pm by chutzpah

maude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maude Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 11:48pm
post #1 of 20

I am doing a weding cake, black and white only. I am going to put black ribbon around the bottom of each tier and add some roses. Do you think I should add black leaves aroung the roses or just do the roses. I have never done black roses before. They will be made out of fondant. TIA

19 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 11:50pm
post #2 of 20

The roses are going to be black?? Not my style.
Yah, if the roses are then go ahead & use a few blk leaves.

maude Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 11:54pm
post #3 of 20

She wants black roses because she is getting married around halloween. I asked twice to make sure that is really what she wanted. I don't think I would want to start a marriage off with black roses.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 12:08am
post #4 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by maude

She wants black roses because she is getting married around halloween. I asked twice to make sure that is really what she wanted. I don't think I would want to start a marriage off with black roses.

Maybe you can suggest really dark burgandy roses? I agree, black roses is kind of like bad luck, isnt it?

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 12:19am
post #5 of 20

I recently went to a wedding where the bride wanted the bouquet to be black roses. At the time she couldn't find black silk roses (this time of year they have them). She found some deep burgandy ones that worked and they were beautiful.

There is a lot of ways to go. You could make black & white roses using traditonal green leaves. Or go with white roses with black leaves. Be sure to go over it with the bride.

If I could pick what wedding I would want it would be a Halloween wedding. I would have lit jack-o-lanterns as center pieces. It would be great to have a costume wedding. They also have Halloween cake toppers.

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 12:22am
post #6 of 20

Black roses? My goodness, I wonder what the guests will think.

It is too bad she won't change her mind for a deep, dark red or perhaps a dark orange-brown or maroon for the fall colors.

How would leaves that are touched or painted gold look?

-Debbie B.

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 12:24am
post #7 of 20

Although I respect the opinions given, I would never try to talk someone out of something they really wanted, especially for a wedding. Some people consider black unlucky because of the stigma attached with the color. Some people like the color.

Back to business, "the customer is always right." First rule of running a business. She may be offended if you suggest that her taste is a bit off.

Just my honest opinion,
Enjoy your evening!
Karen

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 12:31am
post #8 of 20

I'm with you Karen. For heavens sake, give the woman what she asked for. I wouldn't want it, but it's not my wedding.

As for the roses, maybe silver leaves would look cool (painted with silver luster dust). That way you don't exactly introduce another color, like green, but it gives some contrast from the black.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 12:34am
post #9 of 20

Just today my husband and I were discussing the old way of thinking about the color Black. Black is a modern color and very acceptable.

I was a guest and thought Black & White were beautiufl colors. My son had Red & Black, his anniversary is tomorrow.

Some times we just need to let go of the old ways especially when they don't make sense. Really Black being bad luck. People back then had no entertainment and sat around thinking this stuff up.

I usually wear a Black dress to weddings. Black makes you look slimmer and you can use different accesories so people don't notice you wore the same dress at the last wedding.

My Grandmother believed if you had more than one clock in the same room it was bad luck among many other silly beliefs.

maude Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 12:40am
post #10 of 20

I agree that the bride should get what she wants and I wouldn't feel comfortable trying to change her mind. I do like the idea of silver luster dust for the leaves, I have never used luster dust, do you just paint it on with a dry brush.

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 2:24am
post #11 of 20

MAUDE: Re: Luster dust. You can dry brush it or use a tiny bit of water for a more pronounced look. I prefer dry brushing because of it's subtle look. icon_biggrin.gif

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 2:26am
post #12 of 20

I didn't think I liked the idea of black roses either, but after seeing several incredibly beautiful cakes featuring black roses on here, I changed my mind very quickly! They are actually quite elegant. There was even one in the galleries for a Halloween wedding that I liked!

DebBTX Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 3:13am
post #13 of 20

Maude,
Is the cake a traditional style or whimsical?

-Debbie B.

maude Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 10:19am
post #14 of 20

It's a traditional style wedding cake, 10, 8 and 6 inch round, stacked.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 11:05am
post #15 of 20

As others have said, it's the bride's choice give her what she's dreaming of. I'd check with her before even dusting the roses or leaves with silver. i googled black and white wedding cakes and there are a number of very pretty ones out there. Actually, I liked the ones without flowers better. http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2004-10,GGLD:en&q=black+and+white+wedding+cake&oe=UTF-8&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi&oi=property_suggestions&resnum=0&ct=property-revision&cd=1

DebBTX Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 1:02pm
post #16 of 20

Maude,
Your are going to do a beautiful cake. Even though black roses wouldn't be my choice for a wedding, I have seen some fantastic black and white cakes on this site. I'm sure that you will be able to make your cake stylish and elegant.

When did you say the cake is due?
Are you going to use the black Satin Ice, or make your own fondant?

Do you think the Bride would like some fresh Babies Breath tucked in around the roses for a white coloring against her roses?

I would love to see the photos when you get it finished.

-Debbie B.

maude Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 2:11pm
post #17 of 20

The cake is due Oct. 18th. Where do you get the fresh baby's breath? She said I could design any way I want as long as it is white with black roses and stacked. I want to make my own fondant but not sure if I can get it black enough, any tips?

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 4:32am
post #18 of 20

When I suggested using Luster Dust for the leaves, I envisioned making leaves with white fondant, letting them dry and then painting them with silver luster mixed with a little vodka. Alcohol works better than water because the alcohol evaporates faster and doesn't make the fondant as soggy as water can. Even with vodka, I usually give them a thin coat, let it dry, then come back and paint them again. If you don't like using vodka, you can mix the luster dust with lemon extract instead (it has alcohol in it, too).

You've got stronger arms than I do if you're mixing that much black fondant!!! I'd order the premixed black Satin Ice myself. Huge time saver (and I like the taste of Satin Ice).

DebBTX Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 1:31pm
post #19 of 20

Fresh Babies Breath can be purchased at a florist.

If you don't want to use fresh flowers on the cake, perhaps you could purchase gumpaste Babies Breathe. I have some of the gumpaste fillers, and they are really tiny and pretty, perfect for tucking in among flowers. Either way, I think it would soften the look of the cake while adding a touch of elegance.

I have never colored my homemade fondant black. I have been afraid that by the time it became black that it would be a yucky, bad tasting mess. I have only used Satin Ice for black. It has a Vanilla taste to it.

-Debbie B.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 1:40pm
post #20 of 20

Why does everyone consider black roses bad luck and think it is awful to start a marriage on the basis of black flowers?

Why should the couple care what their guests think about the colors they choose for their cake?

I don't understand some of y'alls reasoning at all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%