Royal Icing Tastes Bitter!!

Baking By cakelass Updated 30 Sep 2008 , 9:56am by cakelass

cakelass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelass Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 9:21pm
post #1 of 18

With Christmas around the corner I want to start decorating. Only problem is when i colour icing red or black the icing tastes really bitter! Can anyone advise as to how to avoid this taste. I am using Wilton gel colours to colour icing.

17 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 9:56pm
post #2 of 18

I think cookie icing tastes bitter anyway because of the merinque powder. I have a bottle of red coloring that is "Red-No Taste". I've used this a lot and noticed it tastes better than whatever I was using before. I think it's a wilton color, but I'm not at the shop, so I can't check.

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 1:48pm
post #3 of 18

Since you can get Wilton products you should be able to find the No-Taste red. I like to use powdered color (in addition to a little gel) for red and black. I use Chefmaster brand because that's what my cake store carries. Haven't tried the CK brand, but I'm sure it's fine.

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/mini.aspx?T=1&ShopId=38&CatId=535&SubCatId=1054

Do you flavor your RI? You should; it will definitely help.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 3:45pm
post #4 of 18

I use Americolor as I have been told that it tastes better than Wilton. I also add 3/4 tsp. pure almond extract. Also, if you mix your red or black the night before, the color will deepen and you won't need as much coloring. Also, for red, start with pink and then add red. With black, I have been told to start with brown and add black, but haven't tried that yet. Hope this helps! Have fun with your cookies!

cakelass Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 9:30pm
post #5 of 18

Thanks guys I will start shopping around. I haven't seen Americolor in Australia and I didn't know there was a no taste red in Wilton. We are so behind here in Australia with our products! And cookies have not really taken off here so supplies are really sparse.

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 5:54am
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyLH

I use as I have been told that it tastes better than Wilton. I also add 3/4 tsp. pure almond extract. Also, if you mix your red or black the night before, the color will deepen and you won't need as much coloring. Also, for red, start with pink and then add red. With black, I have been told to start with brown and add black, but haven't tried that yet. Hope this helps! Have fun with your cookies!

Tracy made some really good points about making the icing early and starting with pink. The almond flavor is supposed to cut the bitterness.

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 6:45am
post #7 of 18

I was shying away from RI because of the awful taste.

About how much almond flavoring should I add to make it .....actually edible? and is that true? will it actually be edible? without wincing and wanting to spit it out?

Thanks in advance!!

Jessika

TracyLH Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 10:31am
post #8 of 18

JessDesserts - Try not to fall over, but I actually get a lot of compliments on the RI. I use Antonia74's recipe with Wilton meringue powder and add about 3/4 tsp. almond extract - sometimes a tad more. For those with almond allergies, I use 1 tsp the clear vanilla, Crystanilla, but will experiment with using actual madagascar vanilla to see how much the brownish color of the vanilla affects the icing color. It is not that the taste is off, but I found that the Crystanilla actually doesn't have any real vanilla in it, so I am looking to try different options. If you give this a try and don't find it palatable, I apologize, but I actually get a good amount of compliments on it. Make sure your meringue powder is fresh though.

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 3:22pm
post #9 of 18

Thanks Tracy, I am going to try this tonight. I am new to decorating and I am presenting my class final on Thursday for Wilton Course 2. If you've ever seen a pic, its a basket weave cake covered with RI flowers.
It would be nice if all that work wasnt for nothing.
I hate knowing no one can enjoy them while im striving to make them presentable.
I'll keep you posted!

Thanks again.

Jessika

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 4:46pm
post #10 of 18

Kinda late on this thread, but I have actually never had any complaints on my RI, I use Wilton's Meringue powder, and everyone loves it, but some do prefer toba glace. I prefer TG just because I find the RI a bit chalky, I'm guessing it's the meringue powder, But, I like the way the RI oftentimes dries 'glittery' (but hard), and TG sometimes drys blotchy (but softer)
again, just my two cents (exactly what it's worth icon_smile.gif )

cakelass Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 11:29am
post #11 of 18

Thank you to all that replies on this topic. I have been using a premix RI and I finally got meringue powder here in OZ! I tried Antonias RI and coloured overnight and added vanilla. It tastes fantastic compared to what I was using. Just a quick question. Does this icing dry rock hard all the way through? And are you able to stack cookies etc after they have dried?

TracyLH Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 11:35am
post #12 of 18

Yes, Antonia74's recipe dries hard. Not rock hard so as to chip a tooth icon_biggrin.gif , but most certainly firm enough to bag/stack, etc. Just let it dry long enough and you should be all set! As an FYI, humidity can be a factor in drying, causing the cookies to take longer to completely set. What vanilla did you use and how much?

cakelass Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 12:20pm
post #13 of 18

I used Queen vanilla. It is not a clear one. Only about 1/2 teaspoon.

TracyLH Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 12:26pm
post #14 of 18

Thanks! We don't have the Queen, so I will give the madagascar bourbon vanilla a whirl.

cakelass Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 12:54pm
post #15 of 18

Now that you mentioned Madagasca Bourbon Vanilla. What exactly is it? Is it a paste? Just curious I am seeing it in a lot of the recipe books that I have gotten from the states. Does it taste different to normal vanilla???

TracyLH Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 1:08pm
post #16 of 18

It is a vanilla extract made by Nielson-Massey (they make paste as well). I prefer it over the normal McCormick brand I was getting from the grocery store. It is normally horrendously expensive, but someone on CC mentioned www.surfas.com and their prices are fanatastic. Normally 8 oz at the Williams-Sonoma store is $19. Through Surfas, it is 32 oz for $23! Here is the link:

https://www.surfasonline.com/products/6740.cfm

Of course, there is shipping, but there are great prices on sanding sugars, other extracts, etc. Cheaper than the grocery store which doesn't taste as good (IMHO). I don't know if you can get this kind in Australia, but it might be worth checking into, if you are interested.

Others like Penzey's double strengh vanilla. I just haven't tried that one yet. Here is their link:

www.penzeys.com

Hope this helps!

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 1:33pm
post #17 of 18

I hope so that you can order Americolor Super Red and Super Black, once people here on CC told me about that never again will I use anything else. (unless I'm waiting for my order to come) Gorgeous dark color and NO taste!!!! Love it!!!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

cakelass Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 9:56am
post #18 of 18

Thanks heaps to all for your responses!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%