Passing Out Flyers

Business By Wesha Updated 29 Sep 2008 , 4:58pm by MichelleM77

Wesha Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 6:47pm
post #1 of 26

Hi guys,

Just wanted to know. Where do you usually pass out your flyers? I am setting up a table at the flea market and will be passing them out. Can you pass them out in the Walmart shopping center? I wanted to know because they have bakeries inside and I do not want to get into any trouble.

thanks

Benisha

25 replies
JoAnnB Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 6:53pm
post #2 of 26

Be sure you have a legal business, if you are going to advertise.

Walmart would not be a good place. You would need permission for doing that on any private property.

Never put them on windshields of cars-people hate that and you can get a ticket.

indydebi Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 9:41pm
post #3 of 26

First, ditto on everything JoAnn said. Everything.

Second, I don't do flyers.

"Measure yourself against the company you WANT to keep."

Since I want to be measured against the reputation, talents and creations of the high end bakers and caterers, and since I never see them passing out flyers in parking lots, then I'm not going to pass out flyers that puts my name right next to the chinese delivery places and the palm readers.

MichelleM77 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 10:34pm
post #4 of 26

The only time I pass out fliers is if I have a table set up at an event (for a fundraiser or something) and it lists all of what I offer for people to pick up and take. I don't think I would do anything else unless maybe you were visiting local businesses with a box of goodies and a flyer to promote your business. icon_smile.gif

Wesha Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 12:00am
post #5 of 26

thanks guys. I am still rather wet behind the ears with caking and wanted to know how to gain some clients.

tcbalgord Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 12:10am
post #6 of 26

In my community we have a board for small business, services, and selling odds and ends. It is very professional and people get a lot of lasting customers from it. If you have something like that you could stick a business card up there.

indydebi Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 12:10am
post #7 of 26

My favorite Donald Trump quote:

"If you're going to be thinking anyway, you might as well think BIG!" thumbs_up.gif

DebBTX Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 12:29am
post #8 of 26

You could always give out pretty information sheets at the Bridal Shows where you have a booth.
Perhaps have them available when you talk with other vendors in attendance. It will help them remember you.
Please make sure that you have a legal business before you give out business cards or sheets.

-Debbie B.

Bonnie151 Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 5:02pm
post #9 of 26

I do flyers. I have 5000 right now that I'm slowly putting through letterboxes in my town & surrounding towns. I've also put one up in every local community centre and am going around the local nurseries asking if they will display them. I get a TON of orders from the flyers. It's the only advertising I'm doing right now and I'm booked solid week to week thanks to them.

Mine are A5 doublesided with 4 photos on each side & a few bullet points.

Bonnie151 Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 9:33am
post #10 of 26

To expand on my rushed post last night, I think flyers can be an incredibly cost effective marketing tool if used in the right way.

I've completely stopped handing out business cards. When I mention that I do cakes, people frequently ask if I have a leaflet and when I give them one (I never go out without a supply these days!) the response is frequently, "wow, can I have some to give to friends/family/colleagues etc)"? My very first customer from popping leaflets through letterboxes asked if he could have more to hand out at his work- a very large local employer that I wouldn't have had an "in" at otherwise. My husband gets frequent requests at work and when I mention my to people with local businesses like nurseries, they've frequently asked if I have a leaflet that they could stick up on their notice board. It might be because I'm a small home baker, but I've found people to be incredibly supportive in offering to help spread the word and it's flyers that they are after.

On my direct marketing efforts (i.e. through letterboxes), in general, you can expect a 1-2% response rate. I've been getting a 6% order response rate which for the $280 it cost me to get 5000 flyers printed is a very cost effective way for me to market my business, and that's just an immediate response rate (i.e. within 7 days), there *might* be a handful of other people out there who have held onto the flyer for a later date. I leaflet a little bit every week - 100 or so - and in a few weeks plan on just doing it if orders start to flag and I need a little boost.

I don't have the advertising budget that the local upmarket cake shops so I need to find other ways of advertising - possibly there's a cultural difference here where flyers are more acceptable for home businesses? I need to work within my budget and flyers work for me.

In case anyone is interested, here's what my current flyers look like:
LL

Bonnie151 Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 9:36am
post #11 of 26

and the backside (though I can't see my first attachment so don't know if this is working!)
LL

Homemade-Goodies Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 11:13am
post #12 of 26

I have done flyers as passouts at events, and want to try house to house distribution when I can afford it.

But I am planning a tasting promotion in October at local mall - to promote a specific campaign for Dutch Sinterklaas. I'll also have sample mini cupcakes and pass out business card magnets to people. I don't know about you all, but I can't resist a fridge magnet when handed to me! icon_wink.gif

MichelleM77 Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 5:34pm
post #13 of 26

The flyers I have made to pass out at an event I did through Office Max. They were just simple three to a page, one-sided flyers, with basic information and my contact information. I had 100 pages printed which means I got 300 flyers. It cost me $9. No color, no pictures. Simple flyers. It was what I could afford at the time and I was also on short notice. I do want to get color flyers with a few photos printed. Believe it or not, there are still a few people out there that have not gone on the internet and I think they will order if they can see more of what they will get rather than ordering blindly.

Great flyer Bonnie151!

I love fridge magnets too!

DebBTX Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 6:07pm
post #14 of 26

Benisha,
I was looking at your website. Your cake called Honey Bun sounds delicious.

-Debbie B.

Wesha Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 3:57am
post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie151

To expand on my rushed post last night, I think flyers can be an incredibly cost effective marketing tool if used in the right way.

I've completely stopped handing out business cards. When I mention that I do cakes, people frequently ask if I have a leaflet and when I give them one (I never go out without a supply these days!) the response is frequently, "wow, can I have some to give to friends/family/colleagues etc)"? My very first customer from popping leaflets through letterboxes asked if he could have more to hand out at his work- a very large local employer that I wouldn't have had an "in" at otherwise. My husband gets frequent requests at work and when I mention my to people with local businesses like nurseries, they've frequently asked if I have a leaflet that they could stick up on their notice board. It might be because I'm a small home baker, but I've found people to be incredibly supportive in offering to help spread the word and it's flyers that they are after.

On my direct marketing efforts (i.e. through letterboxes), in general, you can expect a 1-2% response rate. I've been getting a 6% order response rate which for the $280 it cost me to get 5000 flyers printed is a very cost effective way for me to market my business, and that's just an immediate response rate (i.e. within 7 days), there *might* be a handful of other people out there who have held onto the flyer for a later date. I leaflet a little bit every week - 100 or so - and in a few weeks plan on just doing it if orders start to flag and I need a little boost.

I don't have the advertising budget that the local upmarket cake shops so I need to find other ways of advertising - possibly there's a cultural difference here where flyers are more acceptable for home businesses? I need to work within my budget and flyers work for me.

In case anyone is interested, here's what my current flyers look like:

Bonnie,

Your flyers are very nice. Thanks for the response.

DebBTX Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 1:54pm
post #16 of 26

Benisha,
I like the way Bonnie did the pretty color photos on her sheets. It really looks nice. It is hard to read the text, but it appears she was able to get quite a bit of important information on it. It was a great idea for her to use both sides. I bet people loved being able to see examples of her cakes.

-Debbie B.

chutzpah Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 3:17pm
post #17 of 26

Are you actually putting flyers in mailboxes? I thought that was illegal.

Bonnie151 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 3:25pm
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutzpah

Are you actually putting flyers in mailboxes? I thought that was illegal.

Are you asking me? If so, we don't have mailboxes here, we have letterboxes on your front door sort of like a high up cat flap icon_biggrin.gif and no it's not illegal to leaflet. I certainly wouldn't do anything illegal. icon_wink.gif

Homemade-Goodies Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 3:33pm
post #19 of 26

Same here, unless the 'cat flap' has a sign to not distribute unaddressed printed materials it's a free-for-all! icon_wink.gif

chutzpah Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 3:39pm
post #20 of 26

Now I gotcha!

I didn't check to see where you were from, and assumed you were stuffing mailboxes.

We were in Edinburgh last week and loved it! Where do you live?

Bonnie151 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 3:49pm
post #21 of 26

Well I will admit that you momentarily put me into a panic when I thought eeeeekkkkkk, maybe it IS illegal! icon_biggrin.gif I've doublechecked just now on the Trading Standards website & it's confirmed that it is legal. I do have a vague recollection of some govt agency telling me before I set up though that any leaflets that I do must have my address on them but I didn't note the source & am not sure if it's true.

Anyway, I'm in Livingston which is a new town (read cookie cutter housing estates) about 15 miles west of Edinburgh. I used to live in Edinburgh though and worked there until the end of June. I LOVE Edinburgh - I'm glad you enjoyed it. We've had rotten weather recently but hopefully you got some of the sunshine last week.

chutzpah Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 3:51pm
post #22 of 26

Actually we had excellent weather, it rained only once, and it started late afternoon.

I loved the Museum of Surgery!

loriemoms Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 4:08pm
post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

First, ditto on everything JoAnn said. Everything.

Second, I don't do flyers.

"Measure yourself against the company you WANT to keep."

Since I want to be measured against the reputation, talents and creations of the high end bakers and caterers, and since I never see them passing out flyers in parking lots, then I'm not going to pass out flyers that puts my name right next to the chinese delivery places and the palm readers.

I am with Deb on this one...I do have beautiul full color brochures that I hand out at bridal shows, and other vendors who want to refer me..but I am not into the flyer in the mailbox type and don't want to be known as that type either.

MichelleM77 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 4:45pm
post #24 of 26

I don't think it's legal in most US towns, so when I'm talking flyers, I mean I'm setting them out on my table at an event for people to take or I hand them out as requested or include them in the envelope with receipt to the customer, etc. The only way we can do flyers in a mailbox is to actually put postage on something and mail it, which I don't think is a bad way to advertise, especially if you don't have a storefront and don't get that kind of drive-by advertising.

bettinashoe Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 4:54pm
post #25 of 26

Bonnie151, love your flyer! I have also been thinking about whether flyers would be cost-effective or not and from reading this thread it appears they may be. Has anyone taken samples to area retailers (not food retailers but places like tanning salons) with flyers or business cards. I was also thinking about doing something like that prior to the holidays, with small cookies and/or cake bites.

MichelleM77 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 4:58pm
post #26 of 26

I have my flyers at a couple of places around town, a bridal shop and custom invitation studio. I emailed and then took in samples of my cookies so they could try them before they endorsed me to their customers. I do have plans to do more of that soon too, places where I wouldn't mind being affilitated (mostly locally owned businesses).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%