Buttercream Question

Decorating By alcotth Updated 26 Sep 2008 , 7:20pm by alcotth

alcotth Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 7

Hi all! Happy Friday!

Ok, so I am making a one tier round white cake with raspberry filling and buttercream icing.

First question... Do I need to pipe buttercream on the edge of each layer to keep the raspberry filling from seeping out?

Second... I am going to be icing it with buttercream and then laying black Satin Ice fondant zebra stripes over it. The cake is due Tuesday evening... Can I leave this cake out in room temperature from Monday evening to Tuesday evening? Since I can't refrigerate fondant...

Thank you all!

6 replies
kakeladi Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 6:36pm
post #2 of 7

.........Do I need to pipe buttercream on the edge of each layer to keep the raspberry filling from seeping out?.....
Yep, a very good idea. The only time I don't pipe a dam is if using b'cream as fill.

....cake is due Tuesday evening... Can I leave this cake out in room temperature from Monday evening to Tuesday evening? Since I can't refrigerate fondant...

Definately no problem......however you could frig it even w/fondant on it icon_smile.gif Unless it is VERY hot/humid in your area no need to frig for that short of time.

alcotth Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 6:45pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks kakeladi! Big help! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

alcotth Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 6:54pm
post #4 of 7

oops... another silly question. When piping the dam, do I need to let it set up before filling it?

And, the recipe that I have is a hardening recipe for buttercream, do you think that I should use one that doesn't harden? If so, any suggestions on a recipe? Thanks! I am new to this and getting down the basics! icon_redface.gif

tiggy2 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 7:03pm
post #5 of 7

The butter cream you use for the dam should be very thick. I put it in a piping bag with just a coupler (no tip) and pipe it just inside the edge. Crusting butter cream is fine and it doesn't need to crust before filling. Once you put the second layer on let it sit several hours to settle before icing the cake.

sassycleo Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 7:05pm
post #6 of 7

Take your buttercream and add powdered sugar to it to make it pretty stiff. Use that for your dam, you won't run into leakages as long as you have it stiff enough. Best to fill your cake then let it sit covered overnight then come back at it the next day to take off the buldge.

Can't wait to hear how it turns out. Good luck!

alcotth Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 7:20pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you so much everyone! I will post a picture when it's finished! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%