Coconut Cake From A Box Mix - Help

Decorating By SweetStuff30 Updated 28 Sep 2008 , 2:09pm by SweetStuff30

SweetStuff30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetStuff30 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 8

SO i made a coconut cake from a box mix.. and it was a complete FLOP!!! took the cakes out and they squished down to nothing!!! ahaha I must have added too much coconut milk... anyone have a recipie for this using a box mix??? Please help ! thanks! icon_smile.gif

7 replies
Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 4:38pm
post #2 of 8

I just use the DH coconut cake mix and use the WASC recipe. It turned out great

babybundt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babybundt Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 8

i had the same problem when i used the cocnut milk. now i use coconut extract and flaked coconut in the batter and i add a little coconut extract to my icicng. this worked out much better for me.....

SweetStuff30 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 8

ok, i think ill try only using the extract and flakes.. Im frm CAnada and they dont have a DH coconut cake mix here yet, that would be just to easy! icon_razz.gif

SweetStuff30 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 5:32pm
post #5 of 8

babybunt - how much estract to do add and how much coconut?

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 2:37am
post #6 of 8

I use the DH French vanilla cake mix. I follow the recipe on the box except I replace the water listed with coconut milk (not coconut cream) and add 1 cup of unsweetened coconut (usually found in health food stores) I also add a little lime zest-if you like that flavor. I have never had this cake fail. It is the only cake my daughter will eat. I usually add a few tablespoons of lime curd to my buttercream when I frost it, I also like to torte it and use lime and lemon curd as fillings. It is a nice presentation when served-the whiteness of the cake balanced with the yellow and green fillings.

Hope this helps.

cakemommync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommync Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 2:53am
post #7 of 8

I make one every year for my FIL as it is his favorite. I've found if I use cream of coconut) instead of the oil and coconut extract to taste in the white cake batter it comes out really good and coconutty. Then I just used the bagged coconut to stick on the sides and on the whipped cream frosting in the layers.

SweetStuff30 Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 2:09pm
post #8 of 8

ok thanks! ill try some of those ideas! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%