My First Cake-Tastrophe

Decorating By 2kiddos Updated 1 Oct 2008 , 11:46pm by cylstrial

2kiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2kiddos Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 1:31pm
post #1 of 15

My shoebox cake is ruined! I had to drive an hour in my usual rush hour morning traffic, to meet the client before work this morning. I pulled up, opened the trunk, said my usual "cake prayer", "oh my god, please let it be okay", lol. Well, when I opened the box, to peek in, and all I saw was white..... and there was no white on the cake! The buttercream had peeled away from the front of the cake!
Luckily, the party isn't until 9pm tonight, and I was planning a relaxing 1/2 day of work, followed with lunch, and rest... now I get to go home and re-do the cake, and drive another hour back to the party venue tonight!
Never... in 12 years of doing cakes have I had a true cake disaster.... It ruined my day, and I just wanna cry! icon_cry.gif
LL

14 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 15

Oh No! What a shame... hopefully you can fix it without too much hassle. Good luck.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 15

I'm so sorry that this happened to you. I hope the repairs go well.

I just have to say this--Please don't put cakes in trunks--EVER. Trunks in cars are nothing but ovens without direct heat coils. They have no ventilation, the sun beats down on them, the warmth of the road radiates up on them, they sit behind the rear axle and exaggerate every lump & bump in the road.

If delivery with a sedan is the only option, the best place for a cake is probably on the front floor or the floor behind the front seats--as long as you're sure that the floor doesn't get hot. If the floor isn't an option because the cake is too large, then something needs to be put on the seat to make it very level and the cake box needs to be wedged in so that it can't fly forward or move side to side. Keep the A/C focused on the cake box.

You work to hard to have to "pray" every time you open the trunk....

Happy Decorating,
Rae[/i]

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 1:59am
post #4 of 15

What a shame Angie! Hope the repairs went ok and you solved it with flying colors!!!

Jen icon_smile.gif

2kiddos Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 2:36am
post #5 of 15

The re-do was much better than the original!
I decided to do all fondant, and eliminate the buttercream.
LL

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 9:02pm
post #6 of 15

AAAHHHHH I hate these stupid General Error things I keep getting when I try to view people's attachments icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif What the heck is the problem with this site lately? I can't see either the before or after picture and I'm not happy! icon_sad.gif

It sounds like your second cake was a success.....that's great icon_smile.gif

I agree.....don't ever place a cake in the trunk. My DH wants so badly to trade in our mini-van, our kids are grown and in college and we don't need it really anymore. But, I need it for cake deliveries...all the seats fold down flat and it's perfect, with A/C vents all around the back.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 9:14pm
post #7 of 15

Had to refresh the page six times before seeing the pictures! anyway your second cake is great!
Ditto on the trunk..don't use it.

2kiddos Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 9:40pm
post #8 of 15

Although I've been using the trunk, I do have reclining back seats, so I lay them down, and have the cake all the way to the seats, with the AC blowing full blast the entire time.
I'm scared to death of trying to use the seats for cake transport, and with my little car (Civic), the floor boards are usually out of the question due to the sizes of the cakes.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 10:00pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly27

My DH wants so badly to trade in our mini-van, our kids are grown and in college and we don't need it really anymore. But, I need it for cake deliveries...all the seats fold down flat and it's perfect, with A/C vents all around the back.

We were in the same boat this past summer--just didn't want to give up the convenience of the Chrysler mini van with all of the rear seats removed--but the poor gas mileage was killing us. After a lot of research, we decided on a Mercury Mariner Hybrid. The back folds completely flat and although smaller than the mini van in cubic feet, it really fits quite a lot into it. We're now happily averaging 29-32 miles/gallon!

Rae

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 10:02pm
post #10 of 15

oh no!

The finished product looked great.

That icing looks way thick! How thick do you apply it?

sweetneice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetneice Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 10:11pm
post #11 of 15

Your second cake looked absolutely fabulous girl! I know you hated to have to do it over, but this time, it was worth it! I also agree with the whole trunk idea, but I guess until you can do otherwise, you have to do what you can, which is a whole lot of prayer! Congratulations on getting it done! You rock! thumbs_up.gif

jess85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess85 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 3:02am
post #12 of 15

Looks great! My cake is quite small so i have to use the seats and i prop up a big piece of cardboard or mdf cake board if you can so its flat. I then put non slip matting under the board and on top and have not yet had a problem, its very secure.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 3:12am
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly27

My DH wants so badly to trade in our mini-van, our kids are grown and in college and we don't need it really anymore. But, I need it for cake deliveries...all the seats fold down flat and it's perfect, with A/C vents all around the back.

We were in the same boat this past summer--just didn't want to give up the convenience of the Chrysler mini van with all of the rear seats removed--but the poor gas mileage was killing us. After a lot of research, we decided on a Mercury Mariner Hybrid. The back folds completely flat and although smaller than the mini van in cubic feet, it really fits quite a lot into it. We're now happily averaging 29-32 miles/gallon!

Rae

Rae, that's the exact car my DH wants to test drive....he keeps complaining about the gas mileage (19-22 miles/gallon) that our Kia Sedona gets. Wow, I'm excited to tell him that another "caker" has the Mariner Hybrid and it's "cake delivery approved"! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 4:19pm
post #14 of 15

Not to hijack the thread, but I also use a car to make deliveries, a toyota camry. I use a large piece of plywood with some non skid foam to make my backseat flat. I prop it up with boxes on the floor. I also slide my front seats back to help wedge it into place. Lastly, I climb onto of the plywood to make sure it is secure and won't shift under the cake weight (I have my midgets (aka children) climb up there with me if the cake is extra heavy! It works everytime!!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 11:46pm
post #15 of 15

The first cake was great! (Without the broken off piece of course)...but the second cake was even better! You did an amazing job, especially in a stressful situation!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%