Using Clay Molds For Fondant/gumpaste???

Decorating By knel Updated 27 Sep 2008 , 3:33pm by kimmypooh79

knel Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 3:24am
post #1 of 7

I was in Michael's in the clay/sculpting section and came across some plastic molds used for making doll faces. Has anyone ever used these for fondant/gumpaste? Do you think they would work? I didn't buy them, but considering it....

6 replies
catin Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 5:47pm
post #2 of 7

I would go ahead and purchase them ... Try them out and see ... I was also eye balling them just the other day so I was wondering the same thing .

bobwonderbuns Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 5:52pm
post #3 of 7

I know the one you are referring to and I didn't buy it but I bought the baby one with the blocks and such and they work like a charm. Use like any other mold. Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 9:45pm
post #4 of 7

Ohhh many of us have used them. There are some great ideas you can't find in any other mold.

Win Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 10:07pm
post #5 of 7

Absolutely go ahead and make the purchase! Simply dust the mold with a little corn starch so it releases well, and use a 40/60 combo of fondant to gumpaste. If molding faces, etc., I don't think they ever come out quite the same as the mold, but I really wouldn't want them to. The mold is a great "starting point" for the face from which you individualize from there out. Hobby Lobby has them as well... don't forget to use your coupons!

knel Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 10:14pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks, All! Guess I'm heading to Michael's to make yet another purchase!

kimmypooh79 Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 3:33pm
post #7 of 7

I bought the Sculpey easy release molds to try. So far the teddy bears and the four seasons.

Quote by @%username% on %date%