How Much Batter?

Decorating By kate_c Updated 29 Sep 2008 , 2:23am by JanH

kate_c Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kate_c Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 1:56am
post #1 of 5

The answer to this question may be on this site somewhere, but I am still only making my way through it all, so I haven't come accross it yet...

Basically I am wondering if there is any information, or any recipes, where it will tell you exactly how much batter you will need for certain sized cakes? Recently when I was having trouble with the Wilton soccer ball pan, the Wilton instructions said to use a recipe that makes two cakes. I only have one recipe for that (SO far... haven't needed another because everyone keeps asking for that same one!). It is a devil's food chocolate cake which you make in two tins and sandwich together with cream.

However, this recipe didn't fill the tin enough to raise it all the way to the top of the tin (so got less than half a soccer ball). So I am left wondering how to know how much batter to make up, and which recipes will make up how much batter.

I asked my local supply shop how much batter I needed for the most recent tin I hired, and the lady said "It's a 1 kilo..." and left it at that. Not sure exactly what she was referring to, was it supposed to mean the batter weighs 1 kilo before adding it to the tin? None of my recipes say "this is a 1 kilo recipe". ....... ?????????????????????

4 replies
janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 5:08pm
post #2 of 5

Most Wilton shaped pans take any 2 layer cake mix. That is just a standard cake mix, usually about 4 1/2 cups of batter. Here is a link to the instructions for that pan.

http://www.wilton.com/downloads/paninstructions/2105-2044SoccerBall.pdf

HTH!

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 5:10pm
post #3 of 5

Also, here is a page that I found helpful, there are batter amounts and cutting suggestions. I find the batter amounts to be spot on for what I bake, not sure about the serving sizes though...
Jane

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 6:14pm
post #4 of 5

I *never!* bother to measure cake batter.... Oh so messy!
To ensure your cake rises /fills the pan enough just fill it 2/3rds full - that about 1&1/2" deep.
Each time you make a cake note how much batter you used.....how many recipes/mixes and keep a list handy - maybe stick it on the inside of a cabinet door icon_smile.gif
I have learned a 10"x2" round; an 8: x2: sq; most of Wilton's shaped pans and a 12x8x2 sheet pan each use one cake mix.
From my *original* WASC recipe you can fill one 9x13x2; OR one 12"x2" round; OR one 10x2" sq; OR two 8x2" rounds; OR three 6x2" rounds & some of Wilton's shaped pans....I'm sure there are other pans also but these are the main ones I remember right off icon_smile.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 2:23am
post #5 of 5

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%