Need Ideas For A Very Sensitive Cake...

Decorating By janelwaters Updated 22 Dec 2008 , 11:39pm by sweettoothmom1

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 1:36am
post #1 of 51

Every year our church has a service for all parents who have lost children - any age, any reason. They have a social after the mass and I have been asked to make the cake again.

Last year's theme was snowflakes - easy. This year, not so much. This year's theme is "Spending Christmas with Jesus". Other than some angels of some kind I am at a total loss.

I have some time to figure this out, but I would really like to have a direction in mind, and right now - I got nothin!

Last year I did 2 8inch round cakes and they almost ran out of cake. So size is not important and I donate the cake (cause I don't bake "for real"), so there really isn't a budget to worry about.

So, my cake friends - PLEASE HELP!! All suggestions are welcome!

btw - she also asked me to do mini cookies so i will probably do angels and crosses.

50 replies
Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 3:28am
post #2 of 51

Can you do fondant/gumpaste figures? I'm thinking of the story in the Bible where Jesus says let the little children come to me.....Jesus either sitting or standing, holding a baby and other babies/ toddlers or kids surrounding him with christmas sort of decor around. Maybe a tree with decorations on it. That sounds like a lot of work but would be sooo rewarding. You could do double layer 12 in round and double layer 8 in round with Jesus and some of the babies/kids on top and then some more babies/kids sitting on the bottom tier. You could do sort of a garland thing around the sides with bc or fondant, then just do a 2 dimensional tree on the side. That would save a little bit of work. I'm sorry this is so long. I'm sort of thinking and typing at the same time. icon_redface.gif What an amazing honor to do this sort of cake!! thumbs_up.gif

Michelle104 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 3:35am
post #3 of 51

sorry...double post... icon_redface.gif

janelwaters Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 3:55am
post #4 of 51

THAT IS BRILLIANT!!! yes, i can do figures, don't know about Jesus - but I'm willing to try. I mean how do you know when Jesus is good enough! (just kidding!)

I love the decorating like Christmas!

See - I KNEW someone would come up with something GREAT!!

I'm not at all concerned about the amount of work involved - I just want it to be amazing for the parents. I know that the social after the service is very emotional as is the service itself. If I can just add at least a small amount of joy - every minute of work would be well worth it!

Thank you so much!!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 4:07am
post #5 of 51

That would be such a great cake.. and they could keep the topper too. It's a very nice thing to do.. familes that have had such an enormous loss deserve something special.

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 4:12am
post #6 of 51

I really like Michelle104's idea. That's what I picture, except I picture the babies/kids with angel wings. I don't know if that's too hard because that is alot of work, but that's how I picture my little angel, sitting with jesus watching over us.

PS...I think that's an awesome thing for you to do. I bet there isn't a dry eye in the house when you bring that cake in. It made me cry just reading about it (good crying, not bad crying thumbs_up.gif )

Boofycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Boofycakes Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 4:24am
post #7 of 51

how beautiful! Well, however you end up decorating the cake, I cant wait for you to share it with us!

Michelle104 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 4:27am
post #8 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickshalfpint

I really like Michelle104's idea. That's what I picture, except I picture the babies/kids with angel wings. I don't know if that's too hard because that is alot of work, but that's how I picture my little angel, sitting with jesus watching over us.

PS...I think that's an awesome thing for you to do. I bet there isn't a dry eye in the house when you bring that cake in. It made me cry just reading about it (good crying, not bad crying thumbs_up.gif )

The first thing that popped into my head when I read Janel's post was safe in the arms of Jesus....happy tears for them, sad for us....

I can't wait to see this cake....don't forget to let us know when it's done!!

Michelle104 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 4:32am
post #9 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelwaters

THAT IS BRILLIANT!!! yes, i can do figures, don't know about Jesus - but I'm willing to try. I mean how do you know when Jesus is good enough! (just kiding!)

Ummm...yeah! I just looked at your pics and your fishing guy is great!!Just put a beard on him! They'll know who He is!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 4:46am
post #11 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle104

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelwaters

THAT IS BRILLIANT!!! yes, i can do figures, don't know about Jesus - but I'm willing to try. I mean how do you know when Jesus is good enough! (just kiding!)

Ummm...yeah! I just looked at your pics and your fishing guy is great!!Just put a beard on him! They'll know who He is!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

He is a fisher of men...

I just can not wait to see this one! I hope you let us know when you put up a picture!

janelwaters Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 12:27pm
post #12 of 51

Thank you guys so much!! I was really stressing about this cake, I wanted to make it perfect for these families! I feel so much better about it now.

Like I said, I've got some time - the cake isn't until December 14th. But I will definately let everyone know when its done.

I was thinking of putting the angel wings on the children too - I like that idea!

You guys are so great!!

Michelle104 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 1:42pm
post #13 of 51
Quote:

That's exactly the pic I was thinking of! I forgot about the lion in it though!! icon_lol.gif It would be cute to do a little lamb laying next to him to. Oh Janel! I wish I lived by you and went to your church.....I would so help you out if you wanted it!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 2:00pm
post #14 of 51

Here's a possible inscription straight out of the Terry's Village catalog

"I love you all dearly, now don't shed a tear, I'm spending my Christmas with Jesus this year."

sniff sniff sniff sniffsniff sniff

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 2:18pm
post #15 of 51

All great ideas and that inscription! Tears here too!
Can't wait to see it!

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 2:31pm
post #16 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

"I love you all dearly, now don't shed a tear, I'm spending my Christmas with Jesus this year."

That quote summed up this cake perfectly. I had my husband read it and he even got teary eyed, I had tears rolling down my face just picturing the cake with this quote. I think this cake is going to be BEAUTIFUL!

janelwaters Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 2:33pm
post #17 of 51

Oh that inscription! booo hoooo - I am totally crying!!

If you are going to be in St Augustine before the 14th of December you are MORE THAN welcome to help!!

I just ordered 2 more of Aine2's tutorials to make the children and babies. I'm probably going to start on making all the figures soon!

I was so worried about making this cake and now I'm so excited I don't know if I can wait until December!!

You guys are all just amazing! I cannot thank you enough!

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 2:51pm
post #18 of 51

Thanks for the tears...that quote is perfect.

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 3:24pm
post #19 of 51

Of cousre the design of the cake is already perfect, so I have nothing to add except for the fact that now, I wish I could be there for that service!!!

Michelle104 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 5:59pm
post #20 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by doitallmom

Of cousre the design of the cake is already perfect, so I have nothing to add except for the fact that now, I wish I could be there for that service!!!

Me too! Me too!! icon_cry.gif Keep us posted as you get your kiddos done too! icon_rolleyes.gif

mandifrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandifrye Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 6:08pm
post #21 of 51

Okay - I LOVE the idea. I, too, have lost a child, and I am touched by the sentiment.

However, I think that it would be fabulous if each set of parents could take home a fondant child off of the cake.

Would it be possible for you to make that many? Just a thought, kinda like a little keepsake.

Thank you for thinking of all of us.

giggysmack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giggysmack Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 6:14pm
post #22 of 51

Here is one I made almost a year ago now for my friends baby, 1st angel day
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1110753

janelwaters Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 8:59pm
post #23 of 51

I would LOVE to be able to send an angel home, but I don't know how many are coming etc. I think it would be way to hard to guage. Some lost babies, some lost toddlers, some lost teenagers.... etc. Anyway - basically I think it would be impossible - unfortunately.

You guys are just so great and I wish you could all be here for the sevice!

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 9:18pm
post #24 of 51

Well you for sure have to post pics.

There's a couple at my church that came to Christ through the death of their daughter. They were both atheists, but then after their 1st daughter died they were having to go through her things and they found her bible. It was very worn like she had read it a lot and she had written lots of notes in the margins and highlighted many many passages. That's what brought them to Christ and now they run a couple bible studies, mainly on marriage. They said most parents that lose a child end up divorced, but they are proof that with Christ, anything is possible.

mrsw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsw Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 9:19pm
post #25 of 51

I had a picture in my head of Jesus laughing with children all around him. I wish I could find that picture - I see it all the time at church and during First Holy Communion. Would a "image" on the cake be too much? I love the wings and the figure idea. What a wonderful way to remember and support each other.

SOULLA13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SOULLA13 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 9:24pm
post #26 of 51

I never thought that reading about cake could bring me to tears also, i too have lost a child and think its an amzing thing that you have been asked to do, please let us know all about the service, we will all be there with you in spirit giving you our support for such an emotional day.

Cant wait to see the cake, this has given me an idea to commemorate the day my own baby died but it will be much much more simpler than yours (as i dont have half as much talent as you!). Thank you for the inspiring idea.

janelwaters Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 9:44pm
post #27 of 51

Thank you so much for all of your support and I hope that somehow this post has helped those who have also lost children.

I will not attend the service, I might stay for the social after, but, as a person that tends to "absorb" everyone else's pain and emotions, I don't think I could physically handle it!

I will definately will post pics as I go and update this thread as well.

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 9:55pm
post #28 of 51

I myself have lost a child as well. These are such excellent ideas for the cake. You should be so proud to have the honor of making it. This whole situation really makes us stop and think doesn't it? I'm sure however you decide it will be beautiful. Good luck to you. Prayers to all the families here on CC and there who lost a child.

Please keep us updated on what you decide!

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 10:03pm
post #29 of 51

The second Sunday of December (Dec 14 this year) is the Worldwide Candle Lighting to honor and remember children who have died at any age from any cause. Candles are lit at 7 p.m. local time, starting in New Zealand and traveling completely around the globe - one hour at a time. If you are interested in more information, you can to to the Compassionate Friends website. I light a candle every year to honor my son and think it is wonderful that this church has a special service for those parents. Any recognition of their children will be appreciated and they will be honored that you made them a cake. I won't be there, but I thank you too.

Martha

knel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knel Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 10:10pm
post #30 of 51

I immediately thought about the verse "Let the children come to me". I love Michelle104's idea!!!

You could even draw a hand (the hand of Jesus) holding a little tiny hand with this verse on a large sheet cake...(?) A BCT or something? Just an idea. (If you didn't want to do the figures. )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%