Cake Emergency! I Think...

Decorating By TheDomesticDiva Updated 26 Sep 2008 , 12:16am by BlakesCakes

TheDomesticDiva Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 11:55pm
post #1 of 9

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay--so I've been working on this cake most of the day; she's picking it up tomorrow afternoon. The woman wants all buttercream, two tiers, for a first birthday cake. No problem. So I called tonight to ask her if she wanted me to stack them ahead of time, or box them separately since she was going to be travelling 2 hours. Well, her husband answered, and he told me that they are actually going to be travelling about 4 hours in rush-hour traffic. And that since they're going to have their huge dog with them that's riding in the back seat, they're going to keep the cake in the trunk, wedged between luggage to keep it stable.

.....IS THIS THING IS GOING TO MELT TO PIECES??!! It's going to be in a hot trunk with no ventilation for 4 hours in stop-and-go traffic. I emailed her and asked her to please let me cover them in fondant, because I really feel like the all buttercream is going to melt. It sucks because I've been "Melvira-ing" my butt off for the better part of the day, but really, I don't want to be blamed for their cake being ruined when they get there.

Any suggestions??

8 replies
-K8memphis Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 12:01am
post #2 of 9

Yeah it's gonna melt. Where are you located?

TheDomesticDiva Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 12:03am
post #3 of 9

Northern Virginia; it's going to Pennsylvania. It's cool out right now, but in a trunk full of luggage it's not going to be that cool. No ventilation.

-K8memphis Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 12:05am
post #4 of 9

They need to keep this in the front seat away from the dog. Or serve it to him on the way. How nutty. If they ordered all buttercream I'd just inform them their cake will melt in the trunk and they need to keep it up front by the air. I'd stack it for them--people this unknowing, shall we say, about cake could not be expected to get them stacked properly. kwim

auntiecake Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 12:10am
post #5 of 9

Can you use dry ice or something to keep it cool? blankets to insulate on top. Just a thought! It has been cooler here, but the sun on a trunk could take its tole.

irisinbloom Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 12:11am
post #6 of 9

I say tell them what to expect by putting it in the trunk, and after it leaves your hands it's their problem. Thats just crazyicon_smile.gif

ac2steachk Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 12:13am
post #7 of 9

Make them sign something that releases you from anything that happens once they have it.

TheDomesticDiva Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 12:13am
post #8 of 9

I just called back; her husband answered again and he made the "executive decision" to keep them up front with them instead of in the trunk. He said they hadn't even THOUGHT that temperature might affect the cake. They really are the sweetest people; they've given me free-artistic control, and have told me they trust my judgment with whatever needs to be done. And he was really appreciative of me letting them know and being so concerned about it.

I should have included, they know nothing at all about cake. It's a set of grandparents who ordered a cake for their grand-daughter's first birthday. They wanetd it to be extra special for her.

BlakesCakes Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 12:16am
post #9 of 9

GRRRRR--this is a disaster in the making!

They need to decide what's important here! The cake just won't survive 4 hrs. in the trunk unless it's the dead of winter!

If this is a sedan and the dog will be in the back seat, then I'd stack the cake, box it, and tell them that it travels in the FRONT SEAT--with the seat padded so that the box is level and the area to the dashboard crammed with stuff so that the box just can't move--I might even put the seatbelt on it. I'd insist that the A/C vent be focused on the box. And the other passenger--RIDES IN THE BACK SEAT WITH THE *&^% DOG!

I honestly believe that this is the only way this cake makes a 4 hr. drive.

Oh, and they sign off on it, no matter how they choose to travel so that it's completely understood that there will be no refunds for any damage to the cake once it leaves your hands.

Just my .02
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%