Is There Such A Thing As Homemade Chocolate Fondant?

Decorating By Daisys_Cakes Updated 6 Oct 2008 , 2:26am by kandu001

Daisys_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisys_Cakes Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 10:28pm
post #1 of 14

Ok, so I keep on seeing cakes with chocolate fondant and I think Satin Ice makes something called Chocopan, but I was wondering if there was a recipe for homemade chocolate fondant. I use Michelle Fosters Delicious Fondant and love it, so anything with similar ingredients to that would great.

Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

13 replies
MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 10:40pm
post #2 of 14

Here's a recipe I have but haven't tried it yet.

Chocolate/brown MMF:
16 oz mini-marshmallows (NOT Jet-Puffed. I use Wal Mart brand)
2 T water
**Grease a micro-safe bowl, add MMs, sprinkle with water, melt 1 minute, stir**
add
1 oz melted semi-sweet chocolate
1 T glycerine
1 t popcorn salt (or grind regular salt in a coffee grinder - you'll get crystals if you don't)
2 t Nielsen Massey's chocolate extract
Half a jar of Wilton brown
1 to 2 T cocoa powder
**stir and add**
2 lbs powdered sugar

I have tried making brown with just the cocoa powder and it tastes very similar to Satin Ice's dark chocolate, but not nearly as dark. And I hated the sticky texture.

I did find out that you can stretch SI dark chocolate fondant very far by adding regular white fondant--even as much as 50%. (So I buy it rather than make it now).

Daisys_Cakes Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 12:08am
post #3 of 14

Thanks MacsMom, unfortunately the idea of putting half a jar of die does not appeal to me every much. I really want something that tastes great and I could use in place of icing but that may not be possible.

Anyone else?

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 12:22am
post #4 of 14

I've heard you can add chocolate chips to Michele Foster's recipe but I haven't tried it myself. I have made brown chocolate fondant using LaWanda's recipe and it tasted great! thumbs_up.gif Without any added coloring or cocoa powder......LaWanda's recipe will be a light brown color. If you want the recipe I can PM it to you.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 12:36am
post #5 of 14

You can make candy clay and add that to your fondant too.

Seeing how Lawanda's recipe is basically the same as Michele's it just adds melted chocolate and uses coffe creamer ratehr than milk I'd think it'd work just fine to add the chocolate to it. icon_smile.gif

jjkarm Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 12:56am
post #6 of 14

Daisy 1993-
I tried to PM you, but it's not showing that it went through. Did you receive the recipe?

Daisys_Cakes Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 4:18pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkarm

Daisy 1993-
I tried to PM you, but it's not showing that it went through. Did you receive the recipe?

I got it, it does not show in sent mail until it is opened.

Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

jjkarm Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 7:04pm
post #8 of 14

Duh......I knew that! icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif I must have been having one of my blond moments again! icon_rolleyes.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 6:16am
post #9 of 14

There is a "choco pan" recipe here on CC http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1991-Choco-pan-Chocolate-Rolled-Fondant.html although I have not tried it. If you use it, post back and tell us how it is!

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 6:27am
post #10 of 14

You can use chocolate flavored marshmallows and add some cocoa powder to your MMF recipe. Works just fine and tastes nice.

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 6:45am
post #11 of 14

Ok, here's the absolute best chocolate fondant I've tasted...and I did it myself, a variation of MMF.

Add to the powdered sugar you will be using:

1/2 cup dutch cocoa+
4 Tablespoons Special Dark cocoa

Sift it or whisk it together very thouroughly until it is a nice powdery consistancy.

To the water, add 3 tablespoons shortening, and after removing it from the microwave, add 1/8 teaspoon butter flavoring(wilton is what I use).

Follow the regular MMF instructions after that. This chocolate fondant tastes better than Tootsie rolls!!! My kids love it!! I had this on the Cake I posted with the Tiki hut on top. Everyone that ate it couldn't believe it was fondant....try it out, I bet you'll love it too!!

Oh and an added bonus to this is how soft and pliable it is and stays, yet holds up beautifully!!

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 12:41am
post #12 of 14

So tell us....how did you come out with this project?? Equiring minds want to know!! LOL

icon_biggrin.gif

Daisys_Cakes Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 1:14am
post #13 of 14

I actually I have not tried any recipes yet! icon_redface.gif I was inquiring for future reference (you know so you don't have to do that last minute post and your freaking out cause need to know fast icon_lol.gif !) I will definitely post my findings though when I have a reason to try out the recipes.

Thanks again for all the input! thumbs_up.gif

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 2:26am
post #14 of 14

There is chocolate fondant... and it is VERY yummy! It is what I make for all of my fondant cakes. I have submitted the recipe, a few weeks ago, but it hasn't shown up yet. princess.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%