Novice Question On Box Mixes

Decorating By jenjens Updated 26 Sep 2008 , 6:06pm by MacsMom

jenjens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenjens Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 10:28pm
post #1 of 10

does anyone know how many cups are in a standard box of lets say betty crocker? I'm about to board a plane and when I land I need to rush to the store to but the ingredients but I'm making a 16 iin round and a 12 inch round. how many cups do they require in total and how many cups are in a box. I don't want to over buy since I'm not taking it back with me. waste not want not.

i know the 16 in takes about 10 cups but is that one layer or 2 i'm so confused i'm flying formy godsons first birthday on saturday and tomorrow I have to spend the day baking so I can't waste anytime and I won't be able to go to the store morrow because I won't have a car on hand. LOL

If there is a website or a chart I would greatly appreciate it!

Jenjens

9 replies
MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 10:48pm
post #2 of 10

I don't think my first post made it through...

If you use the WASC recipe (it can be used for any flavor cake), one-and-a-half recipe will fill them both. But you'll have to get flour, sugar, sour cream, etc when you get there.

This link has the recipe, what size pans it will fill, and a few variations:
http://www.recipezaar.com/69630

Note that this recipe does take longer to bake than most, so don't blame the oven icon_wink.gif

jenjens Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 10:50pm
post #3 of 10

no they requested a butter yellow cake and a chocolate so I'm just sticking with an extender with buttermilk and instand pudding and of course oil.

hth

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 11:19pm
post #4 of 10

According to the chart in the Wilton book, a 16" round takes 15 Cups of batter in 1 pan (layer). The 12" round takes 7 1/2 Cups.

Here's a link to the chart
[/urlhttps://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm[url]

Duncan Hines is 5 cups per box. If BC is any less, it's not much.

HTH

MacsMom Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 11:50pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjens

no they requested a butter yellow cake and a chocolate so I'm just sticking with an extender with buttermilk and instand pudding and of course oil.

hth

You can use the butter yellow cake mix, replace the water with buttermilk (I use coffee creamer) and add a pkg of pudding. Even though the WASC recipe is already very moist, I add the pudding just for grins. You can also use butter extract in place of the vanilla and almond.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 3:15am
post #6 of 10

DH makes between 5-6 cups. Golden butter makes 6 cups, white makes 5 and the others are in the middle.

BC and Phils make between 4-5 cups.

They vary per brand but also per flavor.

16in round takes 15 cups of batter per 2 in layer. So you will need 30 cups total for a two layer cake. Which is about 6 cake mixes.

12 in round is 7.5, 15 for two 2 in layrs. So atleast 3 mixes there.

Personally I'd buy 10 mixes myself. You may have one left over but I hate having something go wrong and needing another when I don't have it.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 3:16am
post #7 of 10

DH makes between 5-6 cups. Golden butter makes 6 cups, white makes 5 and the others are in the middle.

BC and Phils make between 4-5 cups.

They vary per brand but also per flavor.

16in round takes 15 cups of batter per 2 in layer. So you will need 30 cups total for a two layer cake. Which is about 6 cake mixes.

12 in round is 7.5, 15 for two 2 in layrs. So atleast 3 mixes there.

Personally I'd buy 10 mixes myself. You may have one left over but I hate having something go wrong and needing another when I don't have it.

jenjens Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 3:46pm
post #8 of 10

big issue I could not find buttermilk here last night.. i bought sour cream instead and no instant pudding..

Do you guys thing that I can make WASC with a yellow mix??

Should i put in whole eggs or just egg whites??Like the normal recipes ask for.

for the choclate I'm planning on doing the same. box mix sourcream but just leave out the almond or should i put it in.

this has backtracked me severely. I should of had the cake cooling already.

MacsMom Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 5:53pm
post #9 of 10

Use either 6 eggs or the 8 whites for the yellow. (I usulally buy a carton of egg whites, by the egg substitute, since it is 8 whites ready to go). I use whites for the chocolate, but the recipe says to use 6 whole eggs for the chocolate.

When making the chocolate, I substitute 2/3 c of the flour for cocoa powder and use coffee instead of water. It enhances the chocolate flavor and you can't taste the coffee.

MacsMom Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 6:06pm
post #10 of 10

Oh, I forgot. Just use all vanilla for the chocolate and the same for the yellow - or the butter extract instead.

I actually use 2 T of Nielsen Massey's chocolate extract in my chocolate cake, but I'm assuming you won't be able to get any (?).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%