Wilton Square Cake Pans?

Decorating By forthwife Updated 26 Sep 2008 , 4:22am by icer101

forthwife Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 10:11pm
post #1 of 9

I'm starting to buy square cake pans (one at a time) and have noticed that the square wilton pans don't have straight sides. Will this cause me a problem? Am I better off to buy another brand? Thanks!!

8 replies
MacsMom Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 10:24pm
post #2 of 9

Magic Line has the sharpest edges, but unless you really want to aim for sharp corners the Wilton ones are fine.

CakesByJen2 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 10:27pm
post #3 of 9

I wouldn't buy any WIlton pans. They are very thin, don't cook evenly, and the rounded corners and angled sides (on some of them) make it more difficult to get nice corners on you cake.

I HIGHLY recommen Magic LIne. They only cost a little more, are much heavier, bake more evenly, and come in a wider range of sizes. I've heard Fat Daddio's are good, but I've only heard of them recently and haven't bought any of theirs yet, but they also have some neat shapes that previously had to be imported from Australia and were very expensive.

forthwife Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 10:48pm
post #4 of 9

If I stack two of the square cakes, (to make a 4" high cake) will it keep a square shape or will it be a pyramid? [/code]

grama_j Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 10:51pm
post #5 of 9

Wilton "Preformance" pans are VERY straight..... so straight, they are a pain in the butt to clean ! icon_lol.gif

flamingobaker Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 11:04pm
post #6 of 9

I agree, the "performance" pans are very straight. The regular wilton pans didn't used to bother me with the slightly angled sides, but now that I am improving my skills, and going for that crisp edge, I prefer the performance line.
If you stack the regular wilton pan cakes, you won't get a pyramid or anything. just a "slightly" concave side. (or convex, depending on how you orient them). Like I said, not too bothersome, but if you are buying from the beginning, I'd get the performance.
I don't know from any of the other pans, just my 2 cents icon_smile.gif

forthwife Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 3:22am
post #7 of 9

Awesome, just checked...both pans are performance. I should be ok. Do you guys buy double of the same size, that way you can bake both layers at the same time? Am I wasting $$ to do that?

AmieW Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 3:30am
post #8 of 9

I just recently started doubling up on all my pans. i hate sitting around for hours waiting while the many many many layers that make up a wedding cake are baking one at a time! if you're serious about doing this and plan to do it for a long time - then i would definitly say it's WELL worth the extra money!!

icer101 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 4:22am
post #9 of 9

i buy double of everything.... love all my wilton pans... never complained about them... if it wasn,t for my wilton lessons.... i wouldn,t be where i am at today.... thankful for wilton....

Quote by @%username% on %date%