Stacking Cakes

Decorating By wardshar Updated 25 Sep 2008 , 10:36pm by sandyz

wardshar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wardshar Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 9:49pm
post #1 of 5

When stacking cakes do all cakes go on thin card before placing on top of another? I know to use dowels but some books say use boards and others don't!!! Help!!! Also do you add a blob of icing on the bottom of the stacked cakes to stop them mving and what about transporting the whole cake??? I'm sooo nervous about making a stacked cake and then having to move it!

4 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 9:58pm
post #2 of 5

If you're nervous about moving a stacked cake, then don't. Assemble it once you get to the site. I know there are kits out there that include plates for the tiers and dowels to help support them. About the tiers moving, you probably won't have to worry about that since you'll be assembling on-site.

My first stacked cake was a two tier and I used plastic dowels in the bottom tier. The top tier was on a board that I simply sat on the dowels, since I cut them just a touch higher than the cake. It looked great, it's the curious george cake in my photos. If you don't want the tiers to move at all, I think some of those plate/dowel kits can snap together. Good Luck!

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 9:58pm
post #3 of 5

Hi, I see you are from England. When we stack cakes, you need to use thin silver paper covered board under each tier. Nothe very bottom cake, which has to go on a big thicker board.

I do put a tiny bit of Royal Icing under each cake to stop them moving.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

UPSCAKELADY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UPSCAKELADY Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 10:24pm
post #4 of 5

I always put my top tiers on a same size board but I do not cover the board with any thing... less cost equals more profit, I do however hide the boards. Usually the moisture from the cake will hold the cake in place.

sandyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandyz Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 10:36pm
post #5 of 5

I always transport stacked cakes apart. Why take the chance. I cove the inner cardboard separators with contact paper. I once had a cake (on a hot day in an unairconditioned reception hall soak through the cardboard the cake was on and start to go down. After that I decidedto always use either a plexiglass divider or to cover the cardboard with the contact paper.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%