Chocolate Chile Pepper Cake?

Baking By Rocketgirl899 Updated 16 Oct 2008 , 9:06pm by janebrophy

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 9:12pm
post #1 of 5

Hello,

I am doing a cake next month for a latin party (made to look like a pinata) and I was thinking of doing something along the lines of mexican hot chocolate...

Anyone have ideas? Is this weird? Also it has to be a cake you can carve.

I will ice in BC.. but what should I flavor this as?!?!

I think it has potential... but who knows icon_smile.gif

TIA

4 replies
stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 3:25pm
post #2 of 5

I don't know if this will help but I got a fantastic recipe for mexican hot chocolate cake off the food network a few years ago. Everyone loves it. it's essentially a vanilla cake with cinnamon and the icing is a french buttercream with white and dark chocolate and chili pepper. I can dig it out for you if you like. the cake is a scratch recipe too so it's pretty sturdy, would probably do well for carving.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 4:32pm
post #3 of 5

Are you seeking a Mexican Chocolate cake recipe, or a chocolate chile cake recipe?

As mentioned by stephaniecakenj, standard Mexican Chocolate has cinnamon added into it. A chocolate chile recipe is different, as it incorporates ground chiles in the batter. The norm is to use 2-3 teaspoons of ground ancho, which is a mild chile, and will give the cake a more savory taste. If you want something hotter, you could use ground chipotle or cayenne.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 5

sorry for the delayed response!

I used a similar recipe where I just add cinnamon and cayenne to a doctored chocolate cake recipe!

Rave reviews. Going to mix buttercream with dulce de leche for the middle icon_smile.gif

so excited.

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 9:06pm
post #5 of 5

Wow, these sound so yummy! Theresa, please post your recipe! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%