Margarine V Butter

Baking By momma28 Updated 19 Oct 2008 , 4:24am by JanH

momma28 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 8:59pm
post #1 of 5

Can I substitute margarine for butter in from scratch cake recipe without killing the recipe? Do I omit salt in recipe then?

4 replies
SeriousCakes Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 11:39pm
post #2 of 5

I recently read that for cakes you should not substitute margarine for butter, the results will not be the same. You can do it for cookies and things like that but for a cake it should be butter....

banba Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 11:04pm
post #3 of 5

I have swapped them around in cakes with no real differences.

I would not use marg in cookie recipes unless you want them to spread like pancakes!

indydebi Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 11:42pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by banba

I would not use marg in cookie recipes unless you want them to spread like pancakes!

I ALWAYS use margarine and the cookies don't over-spread. Actually, sometimes they don't spread enough and come out like little half balls! icon_biggrin.gif

I was in my late teens before I knew that the stuff I grew up on and that we called "butter" wasn't "butter". I've never purchased or used "butter" in my entire life. I personally think real "butter" tastes nasty and wouldn't eat it if my life depended on it.

JanH Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 4:24am
post #5 of 5

Butter and margarine are interchangeable in most recipes. icon_smile.gif

If your recipe calls for unsalted butter and you want to substitute margarine, then just don't add the additional salt called for...

Everything you ever wanted to know about the butter vs. margarine issue:
(This is right up there with the scratch vs. mix debates.)

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-593168-.html

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%