Laying Fondant On Top Of Round Cake Perfectly?

Decorating By kaytiebugs Updated 25 Sep 2008 , 9:10pm by UltimateCakes

kaytiebugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaytiebugs Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 8:50pm
post #1 of 6

I've made two test cakes using MMF. I'm assuming the same principles apply to regular fondant when it comes to laying it on the cake.

I roll it out, then roll it up on to my rolling pin, then lay it on top. The top of the cake looks great, but towards the bottom of the sides I'm having to overlap/tuck/fold some areas.

How do I lay the fondant on without having to do this? How can I get it to go on the sides without having to tuck it in. Here's a pic of what I'm talking about.... this was just a test cake and yes it looks pretty crappy. I burned the cake and it was really hard to shape it, plus I was rushing so the fondant didn't come out looking nice and smooth like it did last time I tried. The actual cake will look much better, this was just a rushed practice cake. Don't laugh.
(click the link, I can't figure out how to post an image)

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f202/amandaepperson21/untitled.jpg[/code]

5 replies
Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 8:57pm
post #2 of 6

search you tube its a great tool.

KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 9:00pm
post #3 of 6

When I clicked on the link, it said that it was moved or deleted.

When you are smoothing the fondant on the sides of the cake, you have to smooth it downwards, pulling and stretching just a little. That way, you don't end up with those huge folds of fondant, or having to cut the folds away.

HTH icon_biggrin.gif

Kristine

kaytiebugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaytiebugs Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 9:04pm
post #4 of 6

Duuh youtube! Why didn't I think to look there! You can find anything on youtube lol.

Here's the link http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f202/amandaepperson21/untitled.jpg

wardshar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wardshar Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 9:09pm
post #5 of 6

Hi

I had the same problem until I asked someone! Lay the icing on the top and then smooth over the sides but only a short way down all around the cake. Keep going around the cake and slowly moving lower down. If you think a fold is developing just gently lift the paste and again smooth with your hands. A round cake is much easier than a square or funny shaped one!

UltimateCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%