Help With A Young Customer With A Very Particular Palate

Decorating By sugardaze Updated 26 Sep 2008 , 1:37am by andysprite

sugardaze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardaze Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 8:36pm
post #1 of 7

Good afternoon, all.

I have a young birthday boy who is very particular about his cakes. The birthday cake is vanilla with vanilla buttercream. My buttercream passed but not my vanilla cake.

I need a really good vanilla, cake recipe that is almost like Dunc*an Hines but made from scratch.

Thanks

6 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 12:52am
post #2 of 7

Maybe you could try the WASC without the almond...making it a WVSC. Lots of people really like it. What was the recipe you used?

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 1:09am
post #3 of 7

. . . I would try the WASC recipe . . . http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2322-White-Almond-Sour-Cream-Cake.html . . . but eliminate the almond (replace with vanilla) and substitute half of the water with French Vanilla coffee creamer . . . that should do it . . . icon_wink.gif

or . . . just use DH French Vanilla mix . . . add a box of instant vanilla pudding and one extra egg . . . substitute the water with french vanilla coffee creamer, and tiny bit of extra oil . . . YUM . . . I'll bet she'll never know it's not "scratch" . . .
shhh.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 1:21am
post #4 of 7

I love the Sylvia Weinstock yellow cake recipe--it comes out white but it's called yellow (?). I do not separate the whites from the yolks--and I don't use all the yolks--I follow the rest of it though--just be sure you get a nice emulsion--just so it looks like a cake mix before you bake it--so mix it like a cake mix then add the sour cream & powders alternately. And don't put it in the frige. It is fabulously wonderful.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/2000/FOOD/news/02/09/sylvia.weinstock/yellow.cake.html

sugardaze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardaze Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 1:33am
post #5 of 7

I used Martha Stewart's Traditional Vanilla cake recipe.

I was just going to use a DH to be on the safe side but i didn't know how to pass it off as froms scratch. The extra additions to make it taste like scratch sure is helpful.

Thank you for the recipes and suggestions. I will try all of them and let you know the outcomes.

andysprite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andysprite Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 1:36am
post #6 of 7

I do the same as dragonflydreams with my DH mix except I add about 1/2 cup sour cream as well.

andysprite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andysprite Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 1:37am
post #7 of 7

I do the same as dragonflydreams with my DH mix except I add about 1/2 cup sour cream as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%